• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Missions in IMC

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
I am only a VFR rated private pilot, so I have a limited knowledge about IFR flying altogether. But I am curious, and have been for a while, about how IMC affects missions. I know this is probably a question that is widely dependent on the particular situation, but in general, do you carry out missions in worse conditions than you would in garrison? Or do the same go-no go criteria apply in combat as they do in training? Your knowledge and experience are appreciated.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I am only a VFR rated private pilot, so I have a limited knowledge about IFR flying altogether. But I am curious, and have been for a while, about how IMC affects missions.

Well, generally it keeps us from seeing the ground and other aircraft.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
I assumed that much. But as far as determining if a mission will even go out, how much more/ less stringent are the minimums in a combat setting?

MasterBates

I have launched on real missions with WX that you would not consider flying in normally. There is a clause called "operational necessity" among others that can and does get used in the "real world".

Like HH said, it depends on the mission and how bad IMC it is as to how it affects the mission.

I'm not going to get into mission profiles, but there are many for the SH-60B that can be done IMC.

As to my new platform ask Kmac, Bunky or Goober.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
That is why JDAM is around, when you cannot see the ground, you launch a GPS guided weapon, when you can see the ground, laser away! Of course you can drop GPS guided weapons in good weather also. Weather can also help you tactically speaking without getting specific.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....when you cannot see the ground, ....when you can see the ground.....
.... if you want to "rough it" .... just fly all-wx Attack :). That would cover most IFR evils:

a6crewew7.jpg
a6windscreensi0.jpg

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
The dude who painted that must have had amazing coordination.....To be able to paint that thing in such detail with the jet bumping up and down takes some real talent.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
The dude who painted that must have had amazing coordination.....To be able to paint that thing in such detail with the jet bumping up and down takes some real talent.
To say nothing of the fact that he was inverted when he did it!