• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MOS's for pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently trying for MC OCS, and I am considering being a pilot. I understand that after TBS pilots get an MOS like 7597/98 then get an MOS for a specific aircraft, say Hornets (7523). Is this the pilot's only MOS, or can pilots have multiple designators? Can they fly multiple aircraft (other that test pilots)?

My step-dad is a Marine, and he was a jet mechanic in Desert Storm. He that his Aircraft Maintenence Officer and Aeronuatical Engineer were also pilots. Is this normal?

I am just trying to understand the responsibilities of a pilot. It seems to me that pilots would only really have three things to do: fly missions, train, and do paperwork about flying. I wouldn't think this would take up all of a pilots time. Maybe I just underestimate the paperwork
crazy_125.gif

I have a mechanical engineering degree and I would love to have an MOS (or combination) that would allow me to fly and be involved in aircraft evaluation/maintenence. Is this even possible? What are the chances that a new officer would get a position like that?

I know this is a lot of questions. I would appreciate any comments that you think might be relevant.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Your primary MOS will be for your particular airframe. Your can get secondary MOSs for some jobs, like Forward Air Controller, Aviation Safety Officer, etc. Transitioning/converting to another airframe is pretty rare, but sometimes doable. There are some jobs that fly multiple aircraft. Examples would be test pilot (another secondary MOS), HMX-1, SAR (fly CH-46D and C-12 VIP transport), and a couple others I can't think of right now.

Paperwork...my lad...you're in for a surprise. The paperwork about flying is there, meaning flight planning and some flight records. However, a squadron doesn't get its own logistics officers, operations officers, maintenance officers (okay it gets a WO and a Lt, but that's not enought), etc., etc. The PILOTS fill those jobs. That where the majority of time will be spent.

It's good to know what to expect. I actually don't mind doing some types of office work. Obviously not as good as flying, but neccesary.

Is there anybody out there that has Aeronautical Engineer as a secondary MOS? I would love to talk to anybody that does (especially pilots or NFO's). What does it take to get a secondary MOS like that?

Thanks for the response.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
We don't have no fancy book learnin'like "air-e-o-not-tick-al engineers" in the big green gun club, boy! Is that someone who's on some kind of flying choo-choo train?

In the Marines, the only major MOS involving engineering is combat engineering, which is stuff like digging trenches, building bridges, and the like. The Navy has some other things, but I don't think very many officers make a living in aeronautical engineers.

As an officer, after your first tour, and sometimes later on, there will be some different opportunities. The closest jobs to what you're thinking of would either be the test pilot program, which requires a science or engineering background, or aviation acquisitions. Either one of these tracks can lead to an advanced degree. Test piloting is self explanatory. Acquistions involves working on different purchases of gear and developing requirements, budgets, working with contractors, etc. It would indirectly utilize your engineering background, and set you up for a big-time job on the outside.

I actually didn't just make up the aeronautical engineering question. The Marine Corps lists MOS 6005 as "Aeronautical Engineer," a skill designator MOS. Also, I didn't say engineering just to sound fancy. I can't imagine why a Marine helo pilot would think so. Looking at the numbers my OSO gave me, it seems that fancy sounding degrees are a dime a dozen among NA's. Besides, a degree is pointless without leadership and practical knowledge to back it up.

I realize that Marine Corps pilots are Marines and officers first, everthing else second. If I wasn't OK with that, I would never be considering the Marines. Still, I would like to know as much as I can about what opportunities are available to career pilots.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Lighten up, Francis. I'm just fooling with you, and making fun of the Marine Corps a little, too, in the process, if you didn't notice.

I don't know what the MOS designator for aeronautical engineer entails. I'm guessing it's saving a spot for Special Education Program grads in that discipline. SEP, is not the Marine Corps program for the Special Olympics, despite the name. It's the Marine's program for giving master's in subjects it needs experts in. This year, it's things like acquisitions, environmental engineering, and operations science. I don't think there were any aero eng types in there.

Anyway, I can't guarantee that the Corps has absolutely no jobs specifically requiring an aero degree. However, there is no officer primary MOS as an aero engineer, and I've never heard of a pilot getting any MOS resembling that as a supplementary MOS, other than the ones I mentioned earler.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
You are going to see a variety of MOS's in the Corps. My roommates was aeronautical engineering specializing in space delivery systems, mine was history. We had a lieutenant with a Mechanical Engineering degree from MIT as well as a PE major from Oklahoma.

What you are probably looking for is what PhrogDriver alluded to earlier: Test Pilot School (TPS for short). That's where the eggheads go and wring out new machines (and become well acquainted with ejection seats....)

As for being a maintenance officer in a squadron, let me give you the 3 most important words you need to know: "Gunny, handle it."

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
http://www.1stmarinedivisionassociation.org/marineofficerjobs/bl60.htm

That kinda sparked some curiosity, according to this link you have to be an aviation ground officer first, which does not entail flying. And then perhaps down the road, you can use your degree to work into that type of thing.

For the MOS’s that you select out of TBS, go to their homepage, they have a download all about it. Aviation maintenance is one of them, but the aeronerd is not.

Click this link for what you could expect as a pilot. http://www.1stmarinedivisionassociation.org/marineofficerjobs/bl75.htm I’m just a young buck SNA, so I don’t know - judging from the response out of those with experience, I can only assume that if your step-dad saw pilots designated as maintenance officers and aeronautical engineers, then it must have been a freak of nature occurrence.

You mission should be to become a FAC!

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
There are a million funky jobs for B-billets out there, if you want them. Some are in the career mainstream, others aren't. The FAC thing is a little overrated. If you dig the cammie paint and walking around thing, go for it. The skid kids (AH/UH) absolutely live for the FAC thing, since there's a big skill carry-over to doing FAC (airborne). It's not regarded as all that big a deal in the assault communities. You just need to get some sort of ground side credibility by the time you're done as a major. That can be done on a regt or div staff, as well.

If I didn't mention it, my step-dad was a corporal 12 years ago, so his word is not neccesarily infallible when it comes to the jobs of the officers in his squadron. Just wondering.

Thanks for the link to the SEP stuff. I've always wanted to say I was in Special Ed.

Also, what is FAC?

Daedalus

Phrogdriver, did you chose helos, how easy is it to get the airframe of your choice? If you choose helos, why did you decide to go for them? Can you tell me what aircraft are flown by the Marines?

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
I did choose helos. I liked the idea of being right in the middle of everything, either inserting troops or giving fire support from just a few feet away, instead of 15,000.

Generally people get one of their first 3 choices of aircraft/location. There are 11 possible combinations with helos, so that's not bad. Of course, occasionally guys get the shaft, but that's the way it is anywhere. They usually end up being happy, anyway. The helos are CH-46E, CH-53E, CH-53D, AH-1W, and UH-1N. The possible locations are MCAS New River, NC; Camp Pendleton, CA; MCAS Miramar, CA; MCAS Kaneohe Bay, HI, and Okinawa, Japan. Only CH-46s are permanently in Japan, and CH-53Ds are only in HI.

TechGuru

I have question about a "second job" in the Navy. From what I have heard from various people, is that after your first tour, you can get more training for another job in the navy so you can have more skills. Is this true?

And since I want to be a pilot(dont care what I fly it can be a prop too, long as it is on a carrier) I am also interested in search and rescue(not a S and R pilot but the actual people who perform the retrieval of the person. Is it possible to do both or is the two jobs to different to do both?
Thanks

Rotorhead

phrogdriver said:
I did choose helos. I liked the idea of being right in the middle of everything, either inserting troops or giving fire support from just a few feet away, instead of 15,000.

Generally people get one of their first 3 choices of aircraft/location. There are 11 possible combinations with helos, so that's not bad. Of course, occasionally guys get the shaft, but that's the way it is anywhere. They usually end up being happy, anyway. The helos are CH-46E, CH-53E, CH-53D, AH-1W, and UH-1N. The possible locations are MCAS New River, NC; Camp Pendleton, CA; MCAS Miramar, CA; MCAS Kaneohe Bay, HI, and Okinawa, Japan. Only CH-46s are permanently in Japan, and CH-53Ds are only in HI.
Whatever. Why is it that when you ask 10 Helo guys what they chose during selection, they all respond "I chose helos, blah blah blah". 9 times out of ten they didnt choose helos, helos chose them. Now Im not saying that they are not happy now, you will undoubtedly fall in love with your final TMS but......let there be no mistake; most helo guys are full of crap if they say they chose helos.

Status
Not open for further replies.