• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Most F-117s to be Mothballed

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Snacks said:
Might as well stick up for the AF, you guys keep bashing my service. Anyway, take into account the bomb load for the -117. 2 extremely small bomb bays, really only big enough to hold 1 1000 lber a piece. Not very cost effective, plus with continuous upgrades to cruise missiles and standoff missiles, why not get rid of it? Don't get me wrong, ever time the AF decides to cut an aircraft, that's one less that I'll get the chance to fly. :icon_rage But with all of the budget cuts, it makes sense.

Small bomb bays, not cost effective... sounds like another plane the USAF is bringing into the fold...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Among the other things that our AF brethren are proposing to cut are the U-2 fleet by 2011, 20 B-52's and various other things. Oh yeah, and this will all help topay for an increased buy of 183 F-22's (not FA anymore) and not the 179 they had been planning to buy. Yes folks, that is an increase of 4 extra fighters!

This is a budget proposal from the AF/DOD and it is nowhere near final. Congress has a funny way of sticking it to the AF when they want to cut some things, the number of B-52's has been kept specifically by Congress at its current number despite AF efforts to reduce them. Another one, Congress funded a re-engineng of the U-2 fleet in the late 90's and the cockpit upgrade is just getting finished. It makes the fleet good until 2020/25 at the very least. It has raised a lot of hackles at many levels, especially since its 'replacement' (the RQ-4 Global Hawk) is a less capable platform right now to begin with has not proved itself quite up to the task lately. Not only that, this has actually caused me a bit of work (friggin Air Farce :( )

When Congress gets done with this I imagine it will look a bit different.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Two F-22's did the flyby for the Daytona 500 today. It was supposed to be 3 B-1's, 4 F-15's, and those 2 F-22's but the airport (raceway next to it) went IFR. That would of been a good flyby.

Lawman

None
metro said:
The B-52. The M1911 of airframes. :D

So what your saying is while effective there are newer more capable and technologically advanced designs which can do the same job as effectively if not more so? And that a lot of the love for said design is built on a lot of nostalgia? So that while it may have had a great history its time will eventually come to an end? I couldnt agree more.

(Yeah Im stiring the pot what of it :p )

Drew

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Lawman said:
So what your saying is while effective ....
No, no, no, Grasshopper .... and I don't know WHAT Metro is saying .... but what I'm saying is a "modern", tuned, maintained, not 50-year-old-out-of-the-armory 1911 can stand up to ANYTHING that is currently made by the Euro-Trash designers and manufacturers. They ALL basically copied the 1911 design and then modified it as we came to understand that proficiency, manual of arms, marksmanship, currency, and pistoleros were going to become a thing of the past.

OPINION: The 1911, in the hands of a TRAINED pistolero, is still the fastest, most accurate semi-auto to bring into action against a miscreant -- foreign or domestic.

Stirring the pot is O.K. ... it's the watched pot that never boils.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
KBayDog said:
Also, "A watched boil never pops." :splat_125
BTW, KBayDog still spellchecks on AW "spellchecker" as ... "LapDog".

But it's sad .... so sad ... to see what has happened to the mental state of a graduate of MCBH Kaneohe. I just wish we could all go over to Buzz's Lanikai/Kailua (take your pick) tonight so I could buy you a drink to help you recover from Milton, Florida. :)

Lawman

None
A4sForever said:
No, no, no, Grasshopper .... and I don't know WHAT Metro is saying .... but what I'm saying is a "modern", tuned, maintained, not 50-year-old-out-of-the-armory 1911 can stand up to ANYTHING that is currently made by the Euro-Trash designers and manufacturers. They ALL basically copied the 1911 design and then modified it as we came to understand that proficiency, manual of arms, marksmanship, currency, and pistoleros were going to become a thing of the past.

OPINION: The 1911, in the hands of a TRAINED pistolero, is still the fastest, most accurate semi-auto to bring into action against a miscreant -- foreign or domestic.

Stirring the pot is O.K. ... it's the watched pot that never boils.

Evolution not Revolution.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
To clarify/define/demystify my post...

The M1911/B-52: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just make it better through innovation...

Sometimes the old ways are best.

As for nostalgia, I'm only 23, have only been allowed to own a gun for 2 years, so nostalgia ain't got much to do with my preferences. Just performance, reliability, and loads of other "intangibles." :D

There's only two pistols I would trust my life with (have carried both as a CCW), and that's a well-built and ready 1911, or a SIG. Interestingly enough, that's what MEUSOC and the SEALs carry, respectively. It's been said that both those groups of people know a thing or two about weaponry.

Plus...just LOOK AT IT!

warrior-sml.jpg

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever." - John Keats :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
metro said:
...The M1911/B-52: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just make it better through innovation...Sometimes the old ways are best.

Old ways??? You called ??? ... at the risk of repeating myself:
AirWarriors said:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to metro again.