• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MV-22 Used in Marine Force Recon Raid - Excellent Details!

busdriver

None
We fly with .50s, the airframe problems were solved with a hydraulically damped cradle and a very beefy pintle mount. I'm guessing that when Stearman and crew experimented with it, they were limited to API or Ball ammo. Since then the mk211 round has been adapted to the belt fed world and actually does improve the firepower side of things, but still the main advantage is range.

Pags

N/A
pilot
We fly with .50s, the airframe problems were solved with a hydraulically damped cradle and a very beefy pintle mount. I'm guessing that when Stearman and crew experimented with it, they were limited to API or Ball ammo. Since then the mk211 round has been adapted to the belt fed world and actually does improve the firepower side of things, but still the main advantage is range.

Y'all have your .50s out of the gunners window or the cargo door?

Lawman

None
Y'all have your .50s out of the gunners window or the cargo door?

1108063510_ab4d295465.jpg

Lawman

None
Pavehawk, note the refueling probe. Its a Sikorsky approved mod. There was even an advertisement for it in one of the recent Army Aviation mags.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I remember some Apache unit assigned in support of the Marines painted theirs haze gray. I heard their Army CG shit his pants over it.

Lawman

None
I remember some Apache unit assigned in support of the Marines painted theirs haze gray. I heard their Army CG shit his pants over it.

South Carolina National Guard.

And given some of the stupidity Ive witnessed just in general I could very quickly see no good deed going unpunished and somebody getting the word to knock that the F*ck Off very quickly. I do remember reading one of the biggest arguements for keeping it being that it kept the skin of the aircraft nearly 15 degrees cooler in the sun making it much more friendly to the crew dawgs.

busdriver

None
Yep that's a Pavehawk. Pags, if you're referring to the old gray and green paint scheme, that went out the window when we transferred to AFSOC, it just took a couple years for all the aircraft to trickle through the paint shop.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
South Carolina National Guard.

And given some of the stupidity Ive witnessed just in general I could very quickly see no good deed going unpunished and somebody getting the word to knock that the F*ck Off very quickly. I do remember reading one of the biggest arguements for keeping it being that it kept the skin of the aircraft nearly 15 degrees cooler in the sun making it much more friendly to the crew dawgs.

Which is harder to see?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yep that's a Pavehawk. Pags, if you're referring to the old gray and green paint scheme, that went out the window when we transferred to AFSOC, it just took a couple years for all the aircraft to trickle through the paint shop.

Must just be that pic. I'm used to the grey on the Pavehawks looking a lot darker than it does in Lawman's image. But I'm guessing it's just something to do with the lighting. Or my eyes.

This is the grey I'm used to seeing on Pavehawks:
3240020628_250865a6cc.jpg

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Which is harder to see?

It depends on illumination conditions. We have experimented by painting each one of our models the same grey as the USN/USMC. It's far superior for daylight desert flying. Marginal at night. By the same rationale, black works better, right up until the point of %90-%100, then it just looks like the silouette of a black helicopter on a light colored background.

Doesn't matter if the grey would make us invisible, black is mean and cool...so I doubt it'll ever be anything other than that.

MR-