• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MV-22 Video

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's a question. What's the high altitude hover capability compared to a CH-46/47? Can it do high altitude mountain rescue, say above 10K?

Brett

phrogpilot73

Here's a question. What's the high altitude hover capability compared to a CH-46/47? Can it do high altitude mountain rescue, say above 10K?

Brett
Where's Phrogdriver when you need him? My guess would be that it would be similar to the CH-47, but better than the CH-46. The big limiting factor in high altitude hovers is the thinner air that the blades can't bite into.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The CH-47 is a heavy-lift helo, so is in a whole different category of high-hot-heavy. The new models of the 47 are king-daddy at high altitudes, which is a big part of the reason the USAF chose it for their new CSAR-X.

The 46 blows in high-hot. At 10K you can almost lift two guys with 9mm pistols and fanny packs.:icon_tong

Speaking generally, and I don't want to talk specifics of performance charts in a public forum, the V-22 falls in between these two. Like any rotorcraft, its lift efficiency drops at high altitude.

wrk

I've got some MV-22 propaganda that has a picture of the operating envelope on it, it was given out pretty freely when the 22 guys came to NDZ a while back. Plus if you go into google and type "MV-22 operating envelope" the first thing that comes up is a nice PPT that has exactly that. According to the picture the max hover altitute is about 2000 ft lower than that of an H-60.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
The diagram you're talking is a rough graphical representation, if it's the link to dtic.mil. I've seen it before in pamphlets and isn't really accurate like a NATOPS chart. Generally true, but if you just want to plot a/s vs. alt, in some points it's really better, in others worse.

H60Gunner

Contributor
V-22 question

Where did the MC get their 22 pilots from? The Helo community? I walked (Hovers and I can stand up in it! Gotta love that.) inside one for the first time last summer at an airshow. Looked "helo friendly" up in the cockpit.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Where did the MC get their 22 pilots from? The Helo community? I walked (Hovers and I can stand up in it! Gotta love that.) inside one for the first time last summer at an airshow. Looked "helo friendly" up in the cockpit.

Mostly helo, predominantly CH-46, with a few jet guys thrown in for good measure.

phrogpilot73

The 46 blows in high-hot. At 10K you can almost lift two guys with 9mm pistols and fanny packs.:icon_tong
C'mon man, it's not almost... We can DEFINITELY pick up 2 guys at 10K...

"The Fine Print" - Afforementioned 2 guys must have gone through a body composition evaluation within the last 2 weeks, with a verified weight of between 145 and 147. Each passenger is authorized (1) 9mm pistol (magazine, barrel, and spring removed and stored on the ground for safekeeping), and (1) fanny pack. Contents of the fanny pack are limited to: 1 black ball point pen (Skilcraft), 1 small green notebook with 1/2 of the pages removed, 1 condom (just in case), and 1 pair of foamie ear plugs. Uniform will be camoflauge utilities, no warming layers are authorized as it is extra weight. Please inform the passengers that their packs will be delivered eventually by a CH-53E...

I KEED, I KEED. Although when we flew off the boat over Turkey into Northern Iraq (465 nm), we had to have full bags and a full internal. We could bring 1 nav bag per pilot, 1 small backpack (think space for one day's worth of clothes, food, water, etc), one crewchief (even though we were on goggles, we didn't fly with an AO, one .50 cal and 100 rounds. Still had to do a deck run and I setteled off the end of the ship. Everything else (to include our other gun and AO) was in the 53's. As an assault support pilot, I never felt more pathetic in my life (at least I wasn't a Huey!)

H60Gunner

Contributor
MV-22 Rotor-wash

At the risk of killing another thread I humbly ask....

How atrocious is the rotor wash from the 22?

Can it safely perform an over water rescue, ie. deploy a swimmer and retrieve said swimmer with survivor?

I have heard stories of the 53 actually pushing people underwater even with the old LPA's on. Hence, not recommended for over-water rescue unless there is extreme duress. Anyone remember the two F-14's that smacked and punched in SOCAL circa 1995ish? A 53 showed up before anyone else......