• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MV-22 Video

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
How atrocious is the rotor wash from the 22?

The aggregate rotor wash is determined by gross weight, which, as its weight is between a 46 and 53, the total force of the wash is between the two.

Now, the rub is that the rotorwash is generated at two discrete areas. It is more intense at certain points in the downwash pattern, while very low at others.

How this directly applies to water rescues, I won't claim to know, since I didn't do them in my old platform and have seen what they've tested on this one.

aircav06

None
The CH-47 is a heavy-lift helo, so is in a whole different category of high-hot-heavy. The new models of the 47 are king-daddy at high altitudes, which is a big part of the reason the USAF chose it for their new CSAR-X.

The 46 blows in high-hot. At 10K you can almost lift two guys with 9mm pistols and fanny packs.:icon_tong

Speaking generally, and I don't want to talk specifics of performance charts in a public forum, the V-22 falls in between these two. Like any rotorcraft, its lift efficiency drops at high altitude.

Its just like the Boeing ad says...."Above 16,000FT, its all Chinook"

Actually the Army considers the CH-47 a medium lift aircraft. CH-54 Skycrane was the last heavy lift helo. Agree with you that the reason the USAF selected the CH-47 for CSAR-X was the altitude. The EH101 and S-92 couldn't touch it for high altitude performance.

H60Gunner

Contributor
The aggregate rotor wash is determined by gross weight, which, as its weight is between a 46 and 53, the total force of the wash is between the two.

Now, the rub is that the rotorwash is generated at two discrete areas. It is more intense at certain points in the downwash pattern, while very low at others.

How this directly applies to water rescues, I won't claim to know, since I didn't do them in my old platform and have seen what they've tested on this one.

Makes sense wrt aggregate rotor wash. Now, how do I get to jump out of one?:D

The whole idea, to me, of having a SAR/ASW/CSAR/VERTREP/SSC/ASUW etc.. platform with the dash speed and payload of a V-22 gives me a woody!

MasterBates

The whole idea, to me, of having a SAR/ASW/CSAR/VERTREP/SSC/ASUW etc.. platform with the dash speed and payload of a V-22 gives me a woody!

Dude, you seriously need to get out more.

On the other hand, I guess it's not mud wasps that have been clogging up the pitot probes...

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
At the risk of killing another thread I humbly ask....

How atrocious is the rotor wash from the 22?

Can it safely perform an over water rescue, ie. deploy a swimmer and retrieve said swimmer with survivor?

I have heard stories of the 53 actually pushing people underwater even with the old LPA's on. Hence, not recommended for over-water rescue unless there is extreme duress. Anyone remember the two F-14's that smacked and punched in SOCAL circa 1995ish? A 53 showed up before anyone else......

threadjack showing impressive