• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My 60th b-day is in a few days…please gift me more FLY NAVY bumper stickers…

Random8145

Do you ever notice people driving more "appropriately" around your car, because they think you might be like an unmarked police car?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Do you ever notice people driving more "appropriately" around your car, because they think you might be like an unmarked police car?

Probably not for at least 5+ years. Can't remember the last time I saw one of these on the road as a cop car. It's all unmarked chargers and SUVs around here. And whatever car the police cruisers are nowadays. But I'll say the headlight pattern of the crown vic will be forever burned into my mind, enough that if apocalypse occurred and the police reverted, they would never sneak one past me :)

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Probably not for at least 5+ years. Can't remember the last time I saw one of these on the road as a cop car. It's all unmarked chargers and SUVs around here. And whatever car the police cruisers are nowadays. But I'll say the headlight pattern of the crown vic will be forever burned into my mind, enough that if apocalypse occurred and the police reverted, they would never sneak one past me :)
I may be wildly off base, but I'll take a shot...Atlanta?

I've got a relative in LE that drives a Charger down there. From the outside perspective, it's unclear if he's LE or a criminal. In the Crown Vic era, it was more clear. 😆

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Yes…during the first several years of ownership I noticed this. Quite often there would be several vehicles behind me on the interstate refusing to pass. When this model was discontinued after the 2011 model year, it was less recognized…and currently pretty much nobody recognizes it.

Also, the Cincinnati Police still have a few of these in active service (they are 2010/2011 models)…and it’s always fun for me to see them on patrol...and they are ALWAYS being driven by young rookies (or at least that’s my perception of the situation).

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Pic from a few minutes ago at the gym…feeling kind of jealous seeing a cop car that’s in waaaaay better condition than my cop car…

IMG_4392.jpeg

Random8145

Yeah, the Chargers just don't have the impression of authority the way the Crown Vic did. Up here in Western NY, it's Ford Explorers and Chargers as the main police vehicles. So anytime you see an Explorer, you wonder if it's a cop.

One thing I do wonder is in cities where they have police cars disguised as taxi cabs, what happens if someone tries to hail one of those? The cops just drive right past them?:)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I was told today - by one of our Reservists who is a former Chicago cop and now FBI, that almost every county, metro police department has a "no pursuit" policy and that the need for high performance cars in law enforcement is a thing of the past - and was pointed out that many departments are adopting hybrid and EV utility vehicles/SUVs.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I was told today - by one of our Reservists who is a former Chicago cop and now FBI, that almost every county, metro police department has a "no pursuit" policy and that the need for high performance cars in law enforcement is a thing of the past - and was pointed out that many departments are adopting hybrid and EV utility vehicles/SUVs.
Even if they have “no pursuit” policies, don’t the police still need to, ya know, get from location A to location B expediently?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
That sounds logical. Back in 2004-2006 when I was on patrol with the Cincinnati Police, we were limited to 100 mph during pursuit…and of course, we were required to stop at all red lights/stop signs before clearing an intersection and continuing. It sounds logical that a “no pursuit” policy would currently be in effect due to all the liability.

For the record, I did zero vehicle pursuits back in the day…it honestly sounded like a really, really bad idea at the time…especially since we were instructed during the Cincinnati Police Academy that the biggest cop killer was traffic accidents.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
@mad dog Please provide some insight into how this officer only managed to wound this pitbull...😆

Holy shit, I thought this was clickbait, but after reading, it reminded me of Jim Carey trying to kill the cow in Me, Myself, & Irene...

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
@mad dog Please provide some insight into how this officer only managed to wound this pitbull...😆

Holy shit, I thought this was clickbait, but after reading, it reminded me of Jim Carey trying to kill the cow in Me, Myself, & Irene...

Fired six rounds and only one hit the target (low and outside)…sounds like typical police shooting.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor

I don’t know I wasn’t there.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, the Chargers just don't have the impression of authority the way the Crown Vic did. Up here in Western NY, it's Ford Explorers and Chargers as the main police vehicles. So anytime you see an Explorer, you wonder if it's a cop.

Police Explorers usually don't have roof rails/racks, handy to pick out which is which on the road. It isn't 100%, I've seen at least one 'civilian' Explorer without roof rails and a handful of police ones that had them but it seems to hold true about 95% of the time.

maxresdefault.jpg