• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My other car is a...Sea Harrier

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
Looking at that pic, are the forward nozzles essentially just powered with bypass air?

The front ('cold') nozzles deliver bypass air for thrust, they are rotated via a chain-drive mechanism coupled to an air-moter that is itself powered by bleed air from the engine. The inputs for the air-moter come directly from the nozzle lever located adjacent to the throttle. The whole affair looks like some stoner put it together in metal shop, but it has two good points: it's simple and it works.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The front ('cold') nozzles deliver bypass air for thrust, they are rotated via a chain-drive mechanism coupled to an air-moter that is itself powered by bleed air from the engine. The inputs for the air-moter come directly from the nozzle lever located adjacent to the throttle. The whole affair looks like some stoner put it together in metal shop, but it has two good points: it's simple and it works.

Here's a pic of the whole contraption from the NATOPS.

nozzlesystem.jpg

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
How does that guy manage to afford so many expensive toys?

I would have been more impressed if he'd really drank all that Pepsi.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
He's gots parts galore and a hangar queen...

Spareparts.jpg

Parts.jpg

HJ photos

Wow.....2 spare motors. That should last a year or so. I also noticed the VMA-231 patch on the nose of his spare. Can't tell if it's an AV-8A or a GR3.

Must be nice to have that kind of money.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
You have to have some connections to buy those, I wouldn't even know where to begin to find them.

Waldo

Harrier Bubba
pilot
Wow.....2 spare motors. That should last a year or so. I also noticed the VMA-231 patch on the nose of his spare. Can't tell if it's an AV-8A or a GR3.

Hard to tell with the nose off the jet. Regardless, gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "expensive hobbies".

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another one of Art's toys sharing hangar with the Sea Harrier

April2008648.jpg

HJ Photo

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
You got to be kidding me. The guy must be Midas.

...and don't you know; all you have to do if you want an extra engine is go to DRMO. They have them crated up everywhere...duh.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
One of the hangars in Las Cruces had its doors open one day and as I was walking by I happened to notice a new Cessna, Ford GT and an 80s Porsche (great condition). Obviously, they pale in comparison to the Harrier but still another old rich guy.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You got to be kidding me. The guy must be Midas.

...and don't you know; all you have to do if you want an extra engine is go to DRMO. They have them crated up everywhere...duh.

I don't know his life story as I only stopped by the hangar to pick up some gear from his friend and avionics expert who also shares a love of flying so he showed me around. Art showed up while I was there, but was gunshy about photography. His "fortune" is dabbling in real estate, but according to his friend, he's an expert in getting things cheaply and said the Sea Harrier didn't cost him anything more than a new Volkswagen, but cost him more to get it transported to Southern Maryland.

Here's some more toys next in and around the Sea Harrier and he has a couple of immaculate WWII vintage Yaks on the airshow circuit.

MoreToyz.jpg

HJ photo

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
One of the hangars in Las Cruces had its doors open one day and as I was walking by I happened to notice a new Cessna, Ford GT and an 80s Porsche (great condition). Obviously, they pale in comparison to the Harrier but still another old rich guy.

Ya, apparently they belong to the guy who owns the local dealership, among other investments as well.

I remember the CO pondering why, with all his money, he only bought a cessna 182...