• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My undergrad was comp sci and I was told I don't qualify for crypto?

mrmailer

Ok, I am applying for a commission now, and I wanted to put as my second choice crypto. However, I was told today by the recruiter he didn't think I qualified for crypto. My undergrad was comp sci and I have 10 years of linux experience as well as various programming languages and other technical computer knowledge.

Is he correct? I thought crypto was similar to IT?

port_tack

Recruiters don't always know everything. Often they know too little: just enough to be dangerous. I know an crypto officer with a theater degree.

mrmailer

Is there any reason, then, when I had a good undergrad gpa in comp sci and I'm top 1/3 in my law class that I would not "Qualify" for crypto? I'm currently an IS2.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I think that Crypt-O is a Restricted Line community. I'm not sure what program you are applying for (OCS?) but this may be the reason that you aren't able to select it.

Some programs...and I'm sure someone with more info will chime in here...don't allow you to select a Restricted Line community as a newly commissioned officer.

Basically restricted line means that you are ineligible for command at sea and will work almost exclusively in one area...Crypto, Intel etc...

Often they know too little:

Yeah...this could be it too...

titusmcgrifth

From what one recruiter told me, Crypto. involves finding hidden messages in everyday things. He was telling me about how one Crypto went to Israel fluent in Hebrew just listening to what's going on (lol) If you look at No Such Agency's website, they hire Crypto's from all fields, from Math and linguistics to music majors. Of course, your Comp Sci. degree should make you competitive, since that is one of the preferred degrees they are looking for. But I have the feeling it's more than just internet maintainence and computer programming. Good luck!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am applying for DIRCOM.
That's probably the issue right there. It's not that you don't qualify for crypto. It's that crypto isn't a direct commissioning community unlike the medical corps, medical service corps, etc...

LoneSailor

I am applying for DIRCOM. I'm currently an IS2, so I'm already in intel.

Well I coudn't find the instructions regarding DIRCOM but I did find a website that stated:
Some skill areas may not have openings each year. Each year, skill area recruiting quotas are promulgated for recruiters to fill.

http://www.navy-reserve.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=912

Also it might help to ask that recruiter what is it that makes him think that you're not qualified for crypto.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From what one recruiter told me, Crypto. involves finding hidden messages in everyday things. He was telling me about how one Crypto went to Israel fluent in Hebrew just listening to what's going on (lol) If you look at No Such Agency's website, they hire Crypto's from all fields, from Math and linguistics to music majors. Of course, your Comp Sci. degree should make you competitive, since that is one of the preferred degrees they are looking for. But I have the feeling it's more than just internet maintainence and computer programming. Good luck!

That's not what Navy crypto folks do.

Brett

mrmailer

titus, I've done a lot more complex things like cracking things, anonymyzing things, etc....

I'm almost positive they listed crypto as one of the dircom possibilities, though. I mean, I would like to know if I don't qualify, what exactly I am missing.

titusmcgrifth

maybe this is me being nosy, but you said that crypto is your second choice and that you are in the top 1/3 of your law class (if I read it correctly). What was your first choice? Maybe the recruiter is trying to fill a particular quota ( I honestly don't know, i'm just throwing the idea out on the table), perhaps JAG? Your best bet would be to talk to him again or maybe another recruiter, because it sounds like you are qualified. Good luck!

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
If you want to know what roles are played by various designators then go straight to the source...the Detailers and the Community managers.

http://www.npc.navy.mil/Officer/Pers44/InformationWarfare/NewAccessions.htm

Welcome to the Information Warfare Officer New Accessions page. Should you have any questions, please contact PERS-4410C at (901) 874-4079, DSN 882.

Each year the IWO community accesses roughly 50 new officers. Accession sources are: OCS, Lateral Transfer/Redesignation, USNA, ROTC and recall. For lateral transfer/redesignation, officers who are at the top of their peer group based on their fitness reports, and in their fourth or fifth year of service are typical examples of applicants for change of designator to 161X. Warfare qualification, technical background, prior service with the Naval Security Group as an enlisted Cryptologic Technician are all helpful, but do not replace professional performance in the present designator as the primary yardstick for selection.

Minimum Qualifications

Major: Technical fields (scientific and engineering disciplines; computer science; systems management; foreign policy and area studies; language (especially Middle and Far Eastern languages); or any science with a good GPA.

Character: Potential IWO Officers undergo a Single Scope Background Investigation during a screening process to determine eligibility for a security clearance which allows access to Special Intelligence. In addition to an actual interview, checks with local and national law enforcement agencies are conducted. IWO officers MUST maintain eligibility for access to sensitive and highly classified information.

Current News:
Some required instructional courses for Information Warfare new accession officers have recently undergone a name change. Personnel being issued PCS orders will begin to see the new course name listed on their orders, if attending enroute to their ultimate duty station.

Seaborne Information Warfare Course (SIWC) - formerly Information Warfare Afloat Course (IWAC)

Information Warfare Basic Course (IWBC) - formerly Entry Level Information Warfare Officer Course (ELIWOC)

Information Warfare Senior Course (IWSC) - formerly Intermediate Level Information Warfare Officer Course (ILIWOC)

Information Warfare Basic Course (IWBC) E-Learning
The Navy Knowledge Online (NKO) courses below are requirements for eventually completing the 161X qualification. Computer-Based Training (CBT) courses are currently being worked as pre-requisites or homework for the course. Students will be responsible for completing the courses during the five weeks in attendance. It is highly recommended the courses are completed prior to arrival at Pensacola, FL. This ensures that students get the most out of the five weeks.

Upon completion of the e-learning courses, students are to save the completion certificates. The NKO site is located at https://www.nko.navy.mil/.

The following are highly recommended e-learning courses to be completed prior to arrival in Pensacola for the IWBC course:

Networking Foundations I (12754)

Networking Foundations II (12755)

Network + Part I Media & Topologies (14181)

Network + Part II Protocols (14182)

Network + Part III Implementation (14183)

Speed Technologies I (12901)

High-Speed Technologies II (12902)

Website Security Mgmt (85105)

Website Security Messaging (85106)

IO/IW (002IO01)

SSO Administration

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For lateral transfer/redesignation, officers who are at the top of their peer group based on their fitness reports, and in their fourth or fifth year of service are typical examples of applicants for change of designator to 161X.

Well, at least part of that blurb is company BS. I know several guys who couldn't hack it as aviators who redesignated to IW. So much for being at the top of their peer group. :rolleyes:

Brett