• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAF Crows Landing

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I think NASA owns it now. They got it with Moffett Field.

P-3s out of Moffett used to bounce there. In fact, the FE on my first crew had a rather firey landing while a VP-31 IFE at Crows on 9/25/1990.

vp31mishap0129aug2004xm6.jpg
vp31mishap0229aug2004uc5.jpg
vp31mishap0329aug2004ru8.jpg
vp31mishap0429aug2004ax2.jpg
vp31mishap0529aug2004qs9.jpg
vp31mishap0629aug2004my8.jpg

See what happens when you land with an excessive sink rate.....

East

东部
Contributor
F-111 Tailhooker

Happened at RAAF Amberley last week. (Everybody got out OK)

Attachments

• Tailhooker 001.jpg
    Tailhooker 001.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Tailhooker 002.jpg
    Tailhooker 002.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 131

JIMMY

is it SOP to trap for a gear up? it seems like that would make the impact worse...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking of NAFs... found out a few of the airports I used to fly into in Massachusetts used to be Outlying Fields, such as Plymouth Municipal and Mansfield. Trying to track down the history of them, and in doing so found some sites on the Nike missile sites around Boston in the 50s and 60s. Very interesting. Usually only think of Russian cities being ringed by SAMs... pretty wild.

Edited: Neat, Plymouth Airport used to be a site for Primary training for the Navy in WWII out of the now non-existent NAS Squantum.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... Usually only think of Russian cities being ringed by SAMs... pretty wild....
[course correction]

Speaking of AA around civilian airports ---- Seoul's Kimpo airport was/is ringed with AA missiles and AAA. Quite visible, too.

We don't fly to the "downtown" airport anymore ... but during all the years we did, it was kind of disconcerting to taxi past the gun pits only to have a 20mm Gatling training it's barrels on you and tracking --- 50 yards away --- checking their radar. :eek::confused:

We'd usually give them the finger --- good thing they didn't have itchy fingers in return ...

300px-Vulcan1.jpg

[/end course correction]

East

东部
Contributor
More on the Tailhooker

Not sure about the circumstances but the Flightcrew seemed to have some serious trouble with their landing gear during flight.

Attachments

• Tailhooker 003.jpg
    Tailhooker 003.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Tailhooker 004.jpg
    Tailhooker 004.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 94

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
is it SOP to trap for a gear up? it seems like that would make the impact worse...

Generally, yes. You trap for most gear type manfunctions. The issue isn't the "impact," but not having to slide down the rwy on your belly for 8000 feet.

Brett

snort

Banned
Bring back the memories.... my dad was flew out of Crow's Landing during WWII for a short time.