• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAF Crows Landing

FlytheBall

Maybe, maybe not, maybe go fvck yourself.
pilot
So they put tailhooks on air force planes now? I watched a video of an F-15 take a "trap" but it was a pretty pussy looking hook...wasnt even really sure what I saw.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So they put tailhooks on air force planes now? I watched a video of an F-15 take a "trap" but it was a pretty pussy looking hook...wasnt even really sure what I saw.

Yeah, most of them have hooks for emergency uses. They're a one time use R/R item. Did you think the AF puts gear at most of their fields just in case one of us Navy guys happens by? ;) I've seen 15s and 16s take the field arrestment. As you might imagine, the AF freaks out and it's a huge deal. Anyone who has taken a trap at an AF base knows what I'm talking about. You'll be lucky to get out of the wires in under 45 minutes and they'll try to get you to declare even for a precautionary trap.

Brett

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The RAAF F-111 lost its wheel on takeoff. They spent a while burning gas and opted for the arrested landing. They were worried about sliding out of control off the runway.

One of the interesting facts about this incident is that it was the pilot's first flight in his first operational squadron.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=114974

There's another link inside the one above that takes you to video of the landing.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The RAAF F-111 lost its wheel on takeoff. They spent a while burning gas and opted for the arrested landing. They were worried about sliding out of control off the runway.

One of the interesting facts about this incident is that it was the pilot's first flight in his first operational squadron.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=114974

There's another link inside the one above that takes you to video of the landing.

That's interesting that they would choose to cycle the gear after a structural malfunction like that. Can't speak for other airframes, but in the Prowler, you leave the gear where it is and pretty much take what you've got to the wires.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^ Right ... it really is aircraft specific. No one size fits all ....

The 18-Wheeler (747) has more possible combinations than one cares to contemplate. The Navy and AF have their own set of views and priorities when it comes to gear up/partial gear landings.

Many moons ago, I waved an aircraft OVER the arresting gear INTO the foam strip --- there was nothing in NATOPS specifically addressing the situation -- believe it --- so I made it up as I went along. Everything "worked" (except for the landing gear, of course :)) and my biggest problem was keeping the CO and Safety Officer off the frequency while I set up the crash crew, the landing, and waved it. Too many people trying to talk at once, etc.

Those were the days when people figured the LSO knew everything about landing aircraft. Plus, if it had gone wrong --- they had their fall guy.

But the aircraft is gone ... the foam is gone .... and so am I. :)