• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Name on the aircraft

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Hey,

I tried searching for this on the forums and on google but couldn't find it. Just out of curiousity, when or what does it take to get your name stenciled on an aircraft? I'm guessing you're feeling pretty **** hot when you see it for the first time. I appreciate any answers.

Thanks,

Mike

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Umm a lot of squadrons dont do it, morale might go up or something. Usually when deployed it happens and not so much stateside though it varies from community to community.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Our squadron used Lineal Numbers to determine who's names ended up on the side of the airplane. I had to wait almost a year and a half into my 1st Squadron tour to get my name on the plane.
ea6bflyr

BTW: CAG and DCAG ALWAYS get their names on the X00 jet.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
Umm a lot of squadrons dont do it, morale might go up or something. Usually when deployed it happens and not so much stateside though it varies from community to community.
I wouldn't say that holds in the Navy TACAIR side. Names on the side are pretty standard deployed or otherwise. Mostly done by seniority, but some commands might put the junior guys on there too. I've seen it done both ways.

Brett

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
ea6bflyr said:
Our squadron used Lineal Numbers to determine who's names ended up on the side of the airplane. I had to wait almost a year and a half into my 1st Squadron tour to get my name on the plane.
ea6bflyr

BTW: CAG and DCAG ALWAYS get their names on the X00 jet.

Pure seniority has always been the rule in my squadrons. Finally got my name on the 14th jet in our Intruder squadron during my second cruise.

Typical Prowler squadron has room for 16 names. 4 jets, 4 seats. CAG, DCAG, CO, XO, 4-5 LCDR's, then the JO's. For a while, we were considering stencilling the names of our junior JO's on pods. :icon_smil

SteveG75

None
F/A-18 DRIVER said:
Every pilot in a (single seat) Hornet squadron has his name on a jet deployed or not.

Since there are more pilots than jets in a squadron plus the requirement for CAG/DCAG, how do they do that? So they put a different pilot on each side of the jet? If so, do they get to sit on each other's laps for roster photos?

B

Blutonski816

SteveG75 said:
Since there are more pilots than jets in a squadron plus the requierment for CAG/DCAG, how do they do that? So they put a different pilot on each side of the jet? If so, do they get to sit on each other's laps for roster photos?

I've seen that done. During the Nellis '03 Airshow, VX-9 had a Super Hornet on static display and on each side of the aircraft was the name of a different pilot.
I think I have photos of it somewhere. I'll post 'em later.

Edit: here they are... same aircraft, different names

Attachments

• AN2003 001.jpg
    AN2003 001.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 122
  • AN2003 002.jpg
    AN2003 002.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 123

F/A-18 DRIVER

pilot
If you're complaining that you don't have your name on both sides of a jet then:
a) You're in the wrong business. Go drive for NASCAR or something.
b) Hang around for 18 or so years and you get your name on both sides. (e.g. CO, XO, CAG)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
F/A-18 DRIVER said:
If you're complaining that you don't have your name on both sides of a jet then:
a) You're in the wrong business. Go drive for NASCAR or something.
b) Hang around for 18 or so years and you get your name on both sides. (e.g. CO, XO, CAG)

I didn't consider it a complaint for a second. I'd say it was a very fine dig on the bug drivers. I think we have a failure to communicate.

F/A-18 DRIVER

pilot
wink said:
I didn't consider it a complaint for a second. I'd say it was a very fine dig on the bug drivers. I think we have a failure to communicate.

Fair enough....I must admit, ECMOs are my favorite NFOs - I never liked doing the HARM plan.

SteveG75

None
wink said:
I didn't consider it a complaint for a second. I'd say it was a very fine dig on the bug drivers.

Ah, a wise and powerful man.... :D

At one point in VA-95, the aircraft div O suggested painting the names of our junior guys on buddy stores. Since the aircraft were being decomissioned after cruise, it was their only chance. :icon_wink