• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Name on the aircraft

Super18Ordie

F/A-18 Ordnanceman
My squadron VX-23 we have the pilots names on both sides of the canopy and since we have 2 seater F/A-18D and F we have pilots names under the backseat too. The NTWL (Naval Test Wing Lant) CO is on our Super Hornet 100 and the CO is on our Legacy Hornet 400 and the rest of the officers are on the rest of our hornets and prowlers with the plane captains name on the nose landing gear door and where they are from EX. (AM3 Smith, Austin, TX)

B

Blutonski816

SteveG75 said:
At one point in VA-95, the aircraft div O suggested painting the names of our junior guys on buddy stores. Since the aircraft were being decomissioned after cruise, it was their only chance. :icon_wink

Hell, if I was in the exact same position I'd sharpie my name onto some conspicuous part of the aircraft...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
F/A-18 DRIVER said:
Fair enough....I must admit, ECMOs are my favorite NFOs - I never liked doing the HARM plan.
Yeah, we've noticed ;)

Brett

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Meat,
I'll have to remember that for my DH tour when the JG's start griping....he he he. Too funny.
ea6bflyr

SteveG75 said:
Typical Prowler squadron has room for 16 names. 4 jets, 4 seats. CAG, DCAG, CO, XO, 4-5 LCDR's, then the JO's. For a while, we were considering stencilling the names of our junior JO's on pods. :icon_smil

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
I think I remember hearing something several years back (circa 1995) from an AF guy (F-16 pilot) that the way his squadron did it, the maintenance crew chief for a particular aircraft was the one who decided whose name went on the side. Of course, when the laws of brown-nosing are applied, the seniority rule would probably still hold true, but has anyone else ever heard of it being done like that?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
mkoch said:
I think I remember hearing something several years back (circa 1995) from an AF guy (F-16 pilot) that the way his squadron did it, the maintenance crew chief for a particular aircraft was the one who decided whose name went on the side. Of course, when the laws of brown-nosing are applied, the seniority rule would probably still hold true, but has anyone else ever heard of it being done like that?
Let me get this straight - the PC decides? I think not. RHIP, baby! :D

Brett

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
I'll bet this guy is stoked.
web_050512-N-7130B-144.jpg

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
We used to paint the pilot names in white under the lower front windows in the black anti-glare on our H-3s and then the PC's name below that in black on the grey paint. Biggest kick I ever got was when the MO called me out from the line shack to see my name on one of the helos as PC. I'll agree about it being a morale booster. Another advantage was that it promoted a sense of ownership that made you take more care when you did maintance. I always thought that the Air Force system of assigning the Crew Chief to the aircraft sso that is was his aircraft was pretty smart. Next biggest kick was us just towing a helo on spot and having a man overboard called. Pilots came running up and asked who did the daily inspection and when the Chief said that I did they hopped in and took off without a preflight. I also considered it the biggest compliment that I have ever recieved.

B

Blutonski816

Ryoukai said:
I'll bet this guy is stoked.

It's just like in Flight of the intruder when the squadron get the replacement pilots...

"Just call them new guys... New 1, New 2... all the good ones hve been used up..."