• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAS Miramar 1957

Marauder61

I've been restoring and archiving my father fast collection of slides and prints. Here are a few images to shot at Miramar in 1957:
http://www.pbase.com/marauder61/miramar_nas_1957
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Good Lord, Both Tails Match.........................
http://www.pbase.com/marauder61/miramar_nas_1957

FlyinRock

That F2H2P with the long nose and camera windows is the same model we had in VMJ-1 in Korea in the 50's. Neat pics. Geeezzz that was a long time back and made me smile.
Thanks for sharing
Semper Fi
Rocky

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Quick question:

What purpose did the elongated canopy on that Skyraider serve? I've never seen one of those before.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Wow....back in 1957, the Crusader really was the King Kong of fighters...

Mr. Archer's other galleries are worth checking out as well. Beautiful pics.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Didn't the F-11F have an operational lifespan of around 2 years or something? (Blues service not-withstanding)

That shouldn't be an indictment on the airplane...it was one of the more successful jets the Navy procured, along with the F4D (also featured in the pics, during the 1950s. The reason its operational life was cut short was because the Crusader and Phantom were right behind it.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
AD-5. Multi crew AD used for ASW and AEW. There were several versions.

AD5-W (old system) or EA-1F (new) - well, new in '62. When I got winged in '67 as an EWO, I was hoping to go to VAW-13 at NAS Alameda. They flew the EA-1F & were the only active-jamming squadron in the Navy at the time. The Coral Sea was there with her airwing. The 4-seat A-1's & the single-seat A-1H were all gone by 1970, I believe.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
That shouldn't be an indictment on the airplane...it was one of the more successful jets the Navy procured, along with the F4D (also featured in the pics, during the 1950s. The reason its operational life was cut short was because the Crusader and Phantom were right behind it.

Not saying it was, just askin :) One of the better looking early Navy jets IMHO.....short of the FJ for obvious reasons of course

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
Absolutely stunning shots, Victor. Especially for the timeframe.

Love the Goat (VF-142; Ghostriders) FJ Fury.

The tail on the Checkmate Crusader is great as well.

Anyone know what unit the longnose Panther (RF model?) was assigned too?