• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAS Miramar 1957

FlyinRock

I think you missed the long nose F2H Banshee instead of the Panther. That F9FP came later and replaced the "Banjo". The PP indicates photo and I don't remember which Navy sqdns had them. The Marines flew them with VMJ 1,2, and maybe 3.Then the F9F was replaced with the F8U in late 50's early 60's. I was with VMCJ-1 in 1959 and they were just getting the first of the F8U-P before deploying from El Toro to Iwakuni.
Semper Fi
And if I had read your post more closely I'd have recognized you didn't even refer to the F2H but were asking about something different. Maybe the way it followed so closely made me misthink it. My apologies - Rocky

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Absolutely stunning shots, Victor. Especially for the timeframe.

Anyone know what unit the longnose Panther (RF model?) was assigned too?

The F2H-2P was assigned to VC-61, which was established on 20 Jan 1949. it became VFP-61, then VCP-63 and finally VFP-63 on 1 Jul 1961 operating the F8U-1P (photo version of the F8U Crusader). The "Eyes of the Fleet" was Disestablished on 30 Jun 1982 at which time it was operating the RF-8G on dets to the fleet, along with some F-8H/J airframes, as it took over the F-8 training duties in 1972 when VF-124 became the F-14A RAG at NAS Miramar.