• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAS Oceana...here we go again

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess I don't understand under what processauthorization they want to consider alternatives. Isn't BRAC supposed to be that process? I thought the next BRAC was supposed to be authorized by the previous BRAC and I haven't seen a future date.

Ortiz will not rest until the entire Navy is based in S. Texas.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
You really think Texas? I know this is sorta a dead horse, but it seems that there are many locations that would be more suitable than Texas. New construction or reactivating one of the older spots. NASCC seems pretty much tapped as far as capability/space goes...I don't know about Kingsville but...

Just seems like a tough sell...

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wish it was a dead horse, but the issue will not die. Kingsville has been offered up several times in the past and it will be in the future as a replacement for Oceana. How feasible Kville is as a MJB is debatable.

Florida will get in the race again, and you'll see SC get in the fray. Same ole, same ole.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
The more things change eh? Kingsville has major issues even if NAS Kingsville doesn't. Making it a MJB would put what....10000 folks there? Kingsville has the lousiest housing stock of any place I've been stationed and the "nice, taking the wife out restaurant" is Chili's.:(

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The more things change eh? Kingsville has major issues even if NAS Kingsville doesn't. Making it a MJB would put what....10000 folks there? Kingsville has the lousiest housing stock of any place I've been stationed and the "nice, taking the wife out restaurant" is Chili's.:(

Sure, but Disneyland used to be in the middle of nowhere. You add 10,000 people, and opportunists will build the restaurants, entertainment, etc.

MasterBates

I would not mind if they re-opened Beeville.. From what I have seen, if I had a choice, I would prefere Beeville over Krock..

Not much farther from Corpus, a lot closer to San Antonio, Austin, and Houston.

From the few times I have been there, I like the town better too..b

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While we all hope Congress does best thing for national interest, in the end all politics is local (so they say) so BRAC be damned, political interests see a weakness in Oceana defense and opportunity for them to benefit (first Florida, then Texas and now North Carolina). It's now North Carolina raisng the ruckus....they won't take the outlying field (just brings a short infusion of cash to build field and minimal return thereafter) and occasional noise, but they sure want the whole enchilada because Cherry point area wants the massive increase in Milcon and supporting infrastructure and perpetual increase to the local tax base.

Ace_Austin

pilot
So they want to move the Master Jet Base tooooooo? Someplace other then where the carriers are... smart folks, really smart.

MasterBates

Well, Lemoore is not exactly near Carriers, and its the west coast base..

Personally, I think, from a strategic standpoint, having all of out eggs in one basket (NORVA) is dumb..

Ace_Austin

pilot
What I was getting at the jets could fly out to the boat in fairly decent time and order (Deployments/CQ). Moving the MJB to someplace like TX would make it a hell of a pain to do stuff like that.

Fred

What I was getting at the jets could fly out to the boat in fairly decent time and order (Deployments/CQ). Moving the MJB to someplace like TX would make it a hell of a pain to do stuff like that.

East Coast squadrons deploy on West Coast carriers, and vice versa. Distance really isn't going to be much of a factor.

MasterBates

Compared to the expense of deploying a carrier, the cost of a couple trucks to ship gear, and either AMC/VR planes or contract carriers to move the troops is minimal.

Normal deployment for HSL or HS out of Jacksonville was to fly the helos to Norfolk with as much crap as could be jammed in them, (mostly COMSEC gear and pubs, plus fold poles, blade crutches, etc) while a contract frieght out fit put the tri-walls in a semi that drove there, and the guys not flying up got on a VR bird. Sometimes we flew southwest too...