• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAS Whidbey

propgun26

pilot
For all you up at Whidbey or who have been stationed there...I'm currently going through the CAT I syllabus at VP-30, should get my orders in the next couple months and I'm crossing my fingers for Whidbey. I'm the only VP guy that wants it so hopefully my chances are good. Anyways, I would like to get some good info on as much as I can. How is housing in the general area? Pros and cons of Oak Harbor vs. Anacortes....etc. How are the restaurants/bar scene? Rain shadow??? Whats the policy on going up to Vancouver? Lots of questions I know, I just want some good info thats not from the whidbey island visitors website. Thanks!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
SEARCH FUNCTION !!!

SEARCH on AW's: use it or lose it. ...

Seriously, man ... ALL of the basic questions you pose have been asked & answered over & over & over ad infinitum on this website ... try the search function, and if no joy .... then come back w/ some more 'specific' questions and the 'Brotherhood' will get it done for you.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Except if you're single, finding ladies can be tough. Everything else is great, especially if you're a snowboarder or skier.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Except if you're single, finding ladies can be tough. Everything else is great, especially if you're a snowboarder or skier.

Only if you are doucher like this guy! ;)

I've seen complete toolbags manage to score a girl around here...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Put it in your top two and you'll get it. I wish I could have, but the wife has to work and she didn't want to commute to seattle or everett every day. Jax it is for us....and I haaaaaate Jax.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
1. How is housing in the general area?
2. Pros and cons of Oak Harbor vs. Anacortes....etc.
3. How are the restaurants/bar scene?
4. Rain shadow???
5. Whats the policy on going up to Vancouver?

.... Thanks!
Since I originally dissed you -- a quick & dirty kiss & make-up, if I may:

1. Housing is easy & affordable in the 'general' area ... generally ... and all price ranges and quality levels are represented, from shit to pretty damn nice.
2. Joke Harbor has it's ... limitations, shall we say?? Anacortes has improved greatly over the past 40 years with regards to housing & restaurants, but it's still Anacortes and it's a little more of a daily commute to NAS, obviously.
Married or single 'might' swing it for me ...
3. Anacortes is mo' bettah' ... Joke Harbor is 'closer'. You make your own fun while on the Rock ...
4. Not a problem ... NUW gets 1/2 the rain of Seattle ... and has more VFR flyin' days annually than ANY other west coast NAS (based on historical data) ...
5. Vancouver?? You can't take your gun through Customs ... but you can check it in Blaine. So you become defenseless in maple-leaf-land where crime stats are going through the roof. But you could always call a Mountie if you get nervous ... :sleep_125

You are welcome ...

18874358.jpg

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Come to Whidbey and live in Anacortes. I spent the first couple of years living in the OhHaWa and now that I'm living in Anacortes I'm kicking myself for having not moved up here sooner.

Much less of a Navy town. No Wal Mart (which I deem to be a good thing). Other than a few fast food joints there are no tacky chain restaurants. Closer to the ferry for trips to Friday Harbor, Orcas Island and Victoria BC. Closer to the fwy for trips to the airport. And its one hell of a beautiful drive to work every day.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Concur on Anacortes, although it was nearly 15 years since I lived there. :( I lived off of Gibralter road so not quite in town.

Closer to skiing, hunting and fishing too. I understand they paved the back gate road and that made it no longer than living on a lot of places on Whidbey like Coupville.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Concur on Anacortes, although it was nearly 15 years since I lived there. :( I lived off of Gibralter road so not quite in town.

Closer to skiing, hunting and fishing too. I understand they paved the back gate road and that made it no longer than living on a lot of places on Whidbey like Coupville.
I too concur, Anacortes is close enough to major shopping and also not too far from base. I'd love to move back to Gods country. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Bottom line: NAS WHIDBEY & its environs = the best kept 'secret' in Naval Aviation.

Bar none ... 'cept the WX in HNL is mo' bettah' ... and 'da Bruddahs are more 'mellow' then 'da Dutchmen ... :)

3mokes.jpg