• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAS Whidbey

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Which pilot class are you in here?

1003. Just starting Phase B the day after tomorrow. Where are you hoping to go? Oh, and I'm pretty sure I know who you are, but just to confirm, were you in OCS class 12-08 with me starting out?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What about the "Whidbey Whales" that I keep hearing about?

Here's one ... I hope she makes your day :):):

dsc02703yz.jpg

image by A4sForever

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, standard disclaimer applies. The vast majority of the women in the OH are married, ugly, large, lesbian, or enlisted. However. Comma.

An hour and a half south gets you into greater Seattle. 3.3 million people from there to Tacoma, plus it's the home of UW. 45 minutes north and you're in Bellingham. 78,000 people and the home of Western Washington University. An hour and a half north of THAT gets you to greater Vancouver, and 2.1 million more people. And Simon Fraser University. And the University of British Columbia (which also happens to be right next to a nude beach, if that's your kind of thing). A ferry ride from Anacortes gets you to Victoria, BC. Another 330,000 people in greater Victoria.

So in less than a half day's drive, there are 4 major and minor municipalities beyond Whidbey/Anacortes/Burlington/Mt Vernon. That's 5.8 million people. Which means 2.9 million females. Let's do a rough SWAG here and say that you happen to be picky, and only 1% of the total female population is over 18 and also meets your standards. That's 29,000 chicks to choose from. THE ENTIRE population of Joke Harbor.

So yeah, if you're one of those guys who never leaves the island and complains about the Whidbey Whales, well, yeah. I guess you're just "that guy." No college chicks anwhere here. No hot chicks of any variety. Just like everything here, you have to drive to it, but it's there. So sack up and enjoy.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Ha, an ecmo who can't do math...weeeeak. 1% of 2,900,000 = 29,000, not 290,000. Still, not exactly slim pickin's

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor

OK, standard disclaimer applies. The vast majority of the women in the OH are married, ugly, large, lesbian, or enlisted. However. Comma.

An hour and a half south gets you into greater Seattle. 3.3 million people from there to Tacoma, plus it's the home of UW. 45 minutes north and you're in Bellingham. 78,000 people and the home of Western Washington University. An hour and a half north of THAT gets you to greater Vancouver, and 2.1 million more people. And Simon Fraser University. And the University of British Columbia (which also happens to be right next to a nude beach, if that's your kind of thing). A ferry ride from Anacortes gets you to Victoria, BC. Another 330,000 people in greater Victoria.

So in less than a half day's drive, there are 4 major and minor municipalities beyond Whidbey/Anacortes/Burlington/Mt Vernon. That's 5.8 million people. Which means 2.9 million females. Let's do a rough SWAG here and say that you happen to be picky, and only 1% of the total female population is over 18 and also meets your standards. That's 290,000 chicks to choose from. Over TEN TIMES the population of Joke Harbor.

So yeah, if you're one of those guys who never leaves the island and complains about the Whidbey Whales, well, yeah. I guess you're just "that guy." No college chicks anwhere here. No hot chicks of any variety. Just like everything here, you have to drive to it, but it's there. So sack up and enjoy.

If you end up dating a whale it is because that is what you set your sights on and set your standards too low. :icon_wink

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1003. Just starting Phase B the day after tomorrow. Where are you hoping to go? Oh, and I'm pretty sure I know who you are, but just to confirm, were you in OCS class 12-08 with me starting out?

I'm in 1001. I did ROTC, not OCS, but I think I know who you're talking about.

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None
What they said. Whidbey rocks, I lived up there before I joined, did my JO tour there and will go again if I ever get a chance. Although I did get stuck in Jax for the DH tour. Anacortes is definately more popular with the single guys, I'm married so we actually went south to Coupeville, had a house 2 blocks from the beach with a view of Penn Cove and Mt. Baker that you couldn't believe. Vancouver BC is an awesome town and Whistler is just passed that for world class skiing. Seattle is one of my favorite towns (UW Grad) and we had many wardroom pub crawls through the U district and Pioneer Square.

Like many have said, get off the Island see the sights and you'll love it. Oh, and as for the rain....Whidbey gets an average of 18-26 inches per year. Compare that with the 52 inches Jax gets. I also don't ever remember sweating my balls off just walking out to the plane in Whidbey.

Good luck.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oops. Misplaced the decimal. FAIL. :icon_tong

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
Is Vancouver and Canada in general included in the standard liberty radius? Command dependent? Any special hoops to jump through?

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's usually not a hassle. I think it's command-dependent, but if you're up there for a day trip, most commands just want you to inform your CoC. If you're taking multiple days, they may make you do basket leave just in case, or take no-kidding leave.