• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NASA Test pilot

PCHomerun_4

If a Naval Aviator doesn't have an engineering degree, can he/she still be considered as a strong candidate for a NASA test pilot?

Or is Pilot/Engineer what NASA is looking for in future pilots?

Any comments will be helpful, thanks?

PCHomerun_4

Thanks for the quick replies and the link.

Doesn't an astronaut/pilot have to first become a test pilot?

I'm not sure, I thought they did and it seems like they should anyway.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor

All military pilot-astronauts (only a few have been civilians) have gone to TPS.

Google "astronaut biographies;" that will give you a general idea.

The stats of those selected are in all cases, above and beyond the minimums requried.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

I doubt you would be very useful as a test pilot w/o an engineering degree these days....not to mention that an engineering/"hard science" degree is required in general for TPS. See their website for details

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The application process to become an astronaut (pilot) is just like any others. You could satisfy the minimums but you're competing with others who likely destroy the minimums. You "could" apply after years flying commercial jets, but who do you think they are going to pick? A guy who has 20,000 hours of 737 time, or a guy with 15-20,000 hours of F-18 time? It's not about minimums, it's about the "best man for the job". Could you get a pilot slot with the Navy with a 52 and 4/5/5? Maybe, but these days it's not likely.

I'd like to meet that guy with 15000-20000 F-18 hours.

The question asked about NASA Test Pilot, vice astronaut, so I'll take him at his question and confess that I'm curious about it. It is a civilian organization, so I would assume that some of its flight test positions are not filled by prior military. Still, I would think that even if engineering wasn't a formal requirement, it would probably be an expectation.

mts4602

I love how the simple question of whether an engineering degree is needed for TPS school gets turned into this "you think you can get by with the minimums" thing. That had nothing to with the question. He didn't even ask about becoming an astronaut.

A simple "No, but it is highly encouraged or Yes it is required" would do just fine...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I love how the simple question of whether an engineering degree is needed for TPS school gets turned into this "you think you can get by with the minimums" thing. That had nothing to with the question. He didn't even ask about becoming an astronaut.

A simple "No, but it is highly encouraged or Yes it is required" would do just fine...

Actually, RTFQ. He didn't ask about TPS, he asked about the billet of NASA test pilot. Not much out there on that one. To my knowledge, naval aviators who go to be NASA test pilots are leaving the military, in contrast to astronaut-pilots, who retain their military ranks. Could have changed--anyone with actual knowledge out there?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The application process to become an astronaut (pilot) is just like any others......

4018zi3.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Google.....it is your friend!!

I typed NASA pilot into Google and this was the very first link:

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Education/Educator/OnlineEducation/Careers/research.html

Which had this blurb at the bottom of the page:

Individuals seeking a career as a NASA research pilot must possess a bachelor of science degree in engineering, physical science, mathematics or computer science. Some of the research pilots have also graduated from a military or other recognized test pilot school, or have test pilot experience by participating in actual performance flying qualities flight test.

At the time of application, future research pilots must have a minimum of 1,500 hours as the pilot-in-command. They must also possess a current Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) commercial pilot license with an instrument rating, or a pilot and instrument rating from the armed services, and an up-to-date FAA first class medical certificate.

Edit: I found the some of the pilots biographies on the website, it looks like they are all prior military. Interestingly they do not all appear to have graduated from TPS, though the guys who haven't make up for it with A LOT of flying experience. They have decently varied backgrounds and include a former astronaut. A portion of the astronaut's biography:

With more than 16,000 hours of flying time, Fullerton has piloted 135 different types of aircraft, including full qualification in the T-33, T-34, T-37, T-38, T-39, F-86, F-101, F-104, F-106, F-111, F-14, F-15, X-29, KC-135, C-140 and B-47. At NASA Dryden, he currently flies the T-38, B-52, B-747, Gulfstream-III and T-34C.

Here is the page for the biographies, very interesting reading:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/news/Biographies/Pilots/index.html