• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NASA Test pilot

xmid

pilot
Contributor
With more than 16,000 hours of flying time, Fullerton has piloted 135 different types of aircraft, including full qualification in the T-33, T-34, T-37, T-38, T-39, F-86, F-101, F-104, F-106, F-111, F-14, F-15, X-29, KC-135, C-140 and B-47. At NASA Dryden, he currently flies the T-38, B-52, B-747, Gulfstream-III and T-34C.

[/url]

How would one go about getting checked out and "full qualification" to fly several military aircraft during a career? F-14, F-15, F-104, F-111? Is it more likely that hes flown these aircraft than that hes fully checked out in them? Just seems like getting "fully qualified" in all those airframes would take half a career in and of itself. Or is this a TPS thing?

MasterBates

Well, back in the day, new aircraft came out more often, which would account for a few of them.

The TPS grads I know are Rotor-Wing guys, and they were "checked out" in most everything in the USN/USMC inventory, but only maintained NATOPS quals in a couple aircraft. (as in 60B/F/H/R/S)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How would one go about getting checked out and "full qualification" to fly several military aircraft during a career? F-14, F-15, F-104, F-111? Is it more likely that hes flown these aircraft than that hes fully checked out in them? Just seems like getting "fully qualified" in all those airframes would take half a career in and of itself. Or is this a TPS thing?

I think it is a combination of TPS and what MasterBates says, it was a time when a lot of planes were available to fly. In the 50's and 60's there were plenty of planes coming into service that test pilots and regular pilots could get shecked out in.

Also, NASA has and still does fly an eclectic mix of aircraft for a variety of tests and training. Among NASA's current and/or recent inventory are the B-52, ER-2, F/A-18, T-38, 747, DC-8, T-34C, F-15, Gulfstream III and WB-57. If you look at the pilot biographies, almost all of them are qualified in several aircraft, some of them quite varied. And when you consider that some of these guys have been flying at Dryden for 20-30 years, it is not too much of a stretch for a pilot to be 'checked-out' in a dozen or more aircraft.

A list of aircraft to be flown at Dryden throughout its history:

http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/gallery/photo/

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
As much as I would love to be a test pilot, the engineering degree just doesnt work for me... all those letter and numbers...I'd love to fly jets, and I think I got a shot, but as far as going into space... hello Richard Branson, I'll fly for you!
Does it all really matter anyways, once you hit mach 1 whats another 11 on reentry....?
Oh, by the way and completely off-topic, toe-brakes and nosewheels are for kids, unless of course they are equiped on a large grey piece of metal with 'NAVY' on the side:)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
40something 4/5/3

Now, take a look under my name. Notice anything???

(Hint: There are a lot more people out there with them who have who had those ASTB scores and/or worse)

Now go sit in your corner, shutup and color...

Aw damn it, my crayon broke. May as well get up from MY corner and set you straight. You are a self proclaimed VP rookie. Depending on whether that means you are out of the RAG and into your first squadron or still in the RAG, that means you got accepted to OCS (if it was OCS, if you came by any other route your comment is even more useless) 2+ years ago. Your experience is not current. For your information, and anyone else reading this who is in the application process today, OARs of 40 something and a 4s and 5s will get you nothing more then a polite invitation to take the test again. Joboy was far more right then you. Today a guy needs well into the 50s and minimum of 7s. Be happy you got in when you did. Now go back to the 3P rack and think about how easy it is to make a dick of yourself.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let me put a finer point on some AW user and poster tips. Because application stats or profile came up, don't listen to anyone that got selected more then 5 or 6 months ago. Take a look at what has gotten by the last couple boards. That is your benchmark. When it comes to career choices or advise, consider the posters recency of experience and qualifications. Someone says Intel sucks and he isn't an Intel weenie and hasn't had any interaction with Intel Officers, you can shove that post up the guys butt because that is where it came from. Another guy comes on here and says he was a SWO and would never do it again, but was a SWO 15 years ago, consider how much things may have changed.

If you are posting, try to limit it to something you know about so that your comments are truly helpful and not just noise. If you do not have direct knowledge or recent experience, that is ok, simply qualify what you have to say so readers can put it in context. That way the guy that does know what he is talking about will politely correct you instead of call you a dick.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Aw damn it, my crayon broke. May as well get up from MY corner and set you straight. You are a self proclaimed VP rookie. Depending on whether that means you are out of the RAG and into your first squadron or still in the RAG, that means you got accepted to OCS (if it was OCS, if you came by any other route your comment is even more useless) 2+ years ago. Your experience is not current. For your information, and anyone else reading this who is in the application process today, OARs of 40 something and a 4s and 5s will get you nothing more then a polite invitation to take the test again. Joboy was far more right then you. Today a guy needs well into the 50s and minimum of 7s. Be happy you got in when you did. Now go back to the 3P rack and think about how easy it is to make a dick of yourself.

Perhaps I missed the part of this thread where this thread was about OCS and its specific selection process... if so, my bad. I thought it was originally about NASA test pilot requirements.
The Academy and NROTC selection process is different, and it is not uncommon for individuals to get pilot slots with lower astb (including just the min) scores. Given that those two programs send far more people aviation each year, Joboy's blanket statement (his tossing it with his hypothetical hours requirements and its phrasing led me to believe thats exactly what it was) regarding ASTB scores and getting a pilot slot in the Navy was wrong.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Perhaps I missed the part of this thread where this thread was about OCS and its specific selection process... if so, my bad. I thought it was about NASA test pilot requirements.
The Academy and NROTC selection process is different, and it is not uncommon for individuals to get pilot slots with lower astb (including just the min) scores. Given that those two programs send far more people aviation each year, Joboy's blanket statement (his tossing it with his hypothetical hours requirements and its phrasing led me to believe thats exactly what it was) regarding ASTB scores and getting a pilot slot in the Navy was wrong.

The thread was started by a college student who made no mention of NROTC, ipso facto, we are talking about OCS/BDCP.

Appreciate the clarification on your point of reference. It is true that mids typically get aviation quotas with lower astb scores. I would be surprised if even mids were getting aviation with score like yours these days. Your info was dated by atleast two years. Joboy's is current BDCP/OCS gouge.

Don't know how joboy making a ridiculous comment about flight hours required for a NASA astronaut job led you to believe he was talking about ROTC or USNA mids astb scores. Give me a break. You are trying too hard!!

Joboy was correct based on his experience and point of reference. He did make a blanket statement that diluted his point. I see he deleted his post, maybe for that reason.

You were right based on your dated experience wrt mids getting aviation. But you made just as broad a statement about qualifying scores, without any qualifications, as joboy. That made your post worthless to an AW visitor looking for reliable gouge. Maybe you should take down your post as well.

I submit that joboy thoughtfully and honorable disengaged in an effort to rehabilitate himself and not promote bad gouge. You sir?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I submit that joboy thoughtfully and honorable disengaged in an effort to rehabilitate himself and not promote bad gouge. You sir?

Its only a short trip back to my rack, so sure... ;)

(Edit: For some reason I can't go back and edit/delete the post in question... mod help required?)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Its only a short trip back to my rack, so sure... ;)

(Edit: For some reason I can't go back and edit/delete the post in question... mod help required?)
Well blow me down. A VP guy I can respect! ;)