• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

National guard pilot to active duty navy pilot

DirtyShirt

I wasn't trying to raise the BS flag or give him a hard time. I would seriously just like to hear the story.

By saying the "Guard picks their own", I'm conveying the Bro Network is in action.

The Guard has the ability to choose their own pilots. They can guarantee slots all they want because the receive a small number of UPT slots from the AF and the unit is in charge of sending who they want. Since that person is going to be in the unit for a long time, they make sure they send who they are wanting to send. You can have zero experience and as long as they like you, you're in.

So generally guys who are already in the unit have the highest chance to get picked up. But it's completely normal for guys to get hired off the street.

If you don't have time in the unit, then it's who you know. It comes down to politics....but what doesn't?

Carno

Insane
My college roommate got a C-130 slot during his last semester. He first applied his junior year, got turned down, applied at the same unit the next year and got the slot.

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
Echo the words on the "hiring from within." If you are looking for a UPT spot your best chance is being enlisted within the command. That comes from 2 1/2 yrs of watching UPT board results at a tanker unit. This might not be the same as a fighter unit but not everybody out there wants to fly fighters either. Sorry Bunk.

I've seen or heard of only a few that have been hired for UPT outside the unit in the past 10-15 yrs. The reason why, 95% of the time they didn't work out or didn't stick around. So if you were a board member on a UPT board who do you think you would lean towards picking, the unknown candidate or an enlisted aircrewmen that you have seen working over the past 3 yrs? We do have two co-pilots that just upgraded to ACs but one is a regional airline guy with many hours and the other was a friend of the now vice-wing commander. Both are great guys and just a small example of those that were hired off the street that have worked out.

In regards to inter-service transfers there are enough out there that if you look closely and do some rushing you can find a place to land. It is usually about networking and who you know.

Some of the items that I would ask before deciding to dump your dream of being a Navy pilot are: How many days a month is required, typical or expected? If you are in to building hours how many hours can you expect to fly a FY? Do they have an alert line? (Very good for days of pay but might not be good for building time) There are many questions to ask but it would be very hard to pass up a guaranteed position.

Knowing what you are going to in the future does take some of the weight off when you’re in flight school. I've even heard of individuals being recruited in flight school to the AD or to other units along the way. Even rumors of units pushing their people through whether or not the are cutting the mustard while there. It all depends on how solid your corner is!

There is one thing that I've learned about the ANG over the past couple of years though, don't expect anything to happen over night. With budget cuts in days and dollars for fuel and training it might not happen as quickly as you would like it. If you have a solid backup career or can go living on rice for some of the time then jump on the opportunity. If you want the unknown of what you are going to fly, assuming you get accepted but having a stable paycheck for 10 yrs then fly for the Navy.

Best of luck on this decision:D

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
. This might not be the same as a fighter unit but not everybody out there wants to fly fighters either. Sorry Bunk.

Damn Kent, you know everyone who starts out wants to fly fighters, everybody :icon_rage . In the end, some of those lucky half-ass saps like ourselves end up flying transports........pretty much where we belonged all the time.