• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAVAIR announces TH-57D

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
So I confirmed the weight of the Delta will be higher then the Charlie. I don't have a hard number but I'm working on it. We are scheduled to get 24 a year over 5 years starting in 12-18 months. The Delta will replace both the Bravo and Charlie. Still no word on full autos in the Delta.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The '57/B206 has a much wider touchdown auto envelope than we give have played with. Pax river has confirmed this as well a number of times. Heck the Army operates the TH-67 at a higher weight and does full autos to concrete.

I personally had one of the few documented power failures in a Bravo in 1993 - I had 90 gallons plus two big students - DA well above 3000' - Fam 6 or 7. Simulated engine failure in the way to Pace OLF (Zig zag field I think if that's what you still call it). Engine settled to idle and would not respond to twist grip. Full auto no problem.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm guessing that what Flying Low is getting it has less to do w/ actual performance characteristics and more to do with "being safe." Kind of like how we can't go below 1000' (fixed-wing) but the T-45s can go down to 500' at a much higher speed.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
My post was aimed at two things. One was I confirmed from the wing about the added weight (Which we already knew). The second was about full autos and whether or not they are going to let us take out a brand new Delta and do full autos in it or if they will say it cost to much and we don't want you guys tearing it up. I don't think the weight is an issue for full autos. Only cost is if you have a hard landing and break something. I wasn't trying to say that the issue with full autos was weight.

phrogpilot73

Simulated engine failure in the way to Pace OLF (Zig zag field I think if that's what you still call it).
It was called Zig Zag field when I went through HT's in 2000. That's where I got my first (of three) truck of shame rides... Back of my winging shirt says "Overtorque".

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
Thread resurrection! What the heck happened to this? Pushed to the right ala the T-6B?

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Here is the latest gouge - and by "latest" I mean "what I was told upon checkin almost 2 years ago."

The D will be here in the next 2-3 years. There is one prototype that is currently undergoing FAA certification in Andalusia.

... and nothing more ever since I got here - except to hear that there is a movement afoot to teach basic flight familiarization in the D sim before putting studs in the plane, a la the T-6B sims.

MasterBates

You mean like the LongRanger tranny so you can actually use all the power of the engine?

LongRanger Trans in a 206B is a great external/spray combo. And would be FAR CHEAPER than all the overtorque inspections/truck rides/damage.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
You mean like the LongRanger tranny so you can actually use all the power of the engine?

LongRanger Trans in a 206B is a great external/spray combo. And would be FAR CHEAPER than all the overtorque inspections/truck rides/damage.

Here is the problem with that thought process. It makes sense. Do not attempt to apply common sense to any decision made by the military. I could say the same thing about numerous components in the -60 that we should have had in common with all the other services but due to shortsighted budget planning were left out to save a few bucks 10-15 years ago, but cost us more now.