• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aircrewman to Army Flying Warrant

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I also heard something about the Army not wanting applicants in this program who have served more than 8 years active duty. Has anyone heard of this as well?
True, and as @FormerRecruitingGuru saw in his basic search you’d need to apply this year.

Me, I’d do it because you don’t even need a postage stamp any more. Fill out the applications (take an Army PT and combat fitness test and record the scores) and inform your ECM. Keep serving until a decision is made.

ArtieB44

I received a fairly substantial bonus due to the fact that my specific job is severely undermanned right now. From what I've been told, I can still possibly get released from the Navy early, however they would take back a good chunk of the bonus depending on how much of the service obligation I've completed.
I am currently a SNA in helo advance and I was a prior AWV1. I can tell you from my experience you will not get released to pursue a commissioning source from another branch. I was applying to USN, Air Force, Air Guard, and USCG for flight school back in 2019/20. I had been denied the first two looks at Navy OCS so I started talking to AF/ANG/USCG recruiters, took the AFOQT, even flew out to certain air guard units to meet n greet and “rush” at drill weekends. I had applied to multiple units as well and started the process with the AF. Unfortunately the ECM would not release me for a conditional release to a commissioning program unless there was something from that specific branch I was transferring too would provide some sort of documentation that would show I was for sure selected. On the other end no branch or recruiter would process my paper work until the navy gave me a conditional release stating upon selection I will be released from the Navy on said day to start OCS/OTS on said day. It was back n forth with Millington. Because the can’t start anything unless the know the Navy will release me. The earliest my ECM would release me is the day before my EAOS, which was 2 years away at this point. And with you just reenlisting and getting a bonus I don’t see the ECM helping you out, especially with you saying you were in a critically undermanned rate/NEC like I was in. The only commissioning source where you won’t get any issues is the Navy. I submitted again and got selected and it all worked out. Being able to stay Navy was the best decision. Idk where you are at in completing a degree but I would push hard on that. I hate to be the guy who brings negative news but you have to think, you going to the Army serves no benefit to the Navy, you re-enlisted, got a bonus, you’re filling a critically manned position, and you have time to serve, if you go to the Army they get nothing in return, you stay Navy the Navy gains an Officer.

ArtieB44

But in my 12 years I’ve seen crazier things happen, and not ever situation is the same. Timing is everything and maybe if you do the leg work maybe you’ll slip thru and get to go. I’m not saying to not try in my last post, I’m just giving you the reality I experienced just a couple years ago. My command was on board, the AF, and 2 ANG units were telling me I was good to go I just needed to have that conditional release and ECM and Big Navy were not about it at the time. Good luck

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unfortunately the ECM would not release me for a conditional release to a commissioning program unless there was something from that specific branch I was transferring too would provide some sort of documentation that would show I was for sure selected.
What complete nonsense. The terms the ECM wants is called a...CONDITIONAL RELEASE! There is no jeopardy for the Navy. You are released on the condition you get selected. They stood the process on its head. Navy gives conditional release, member applies to the Space Force, does not get selected, he stays in the Navy. Member is selected for Guardian Officer Skool, he is released from the Navy. That is how it should work, and it meets the terms of what the meat head at ECM wanted.

If the Navy will not release, fine. Just say so. I can't help but think whoever set up the Catch 22 you dealt with was illiterate.

ArtieB44

Yeah, it was a major headache. It frustrating for both parties for sure and I hate to see it happen. I feel like it’s what is going to happen to the OP. But who knows maybe something has changed in the last 3-ish years. I’m happy with my choice though. I’m glad to stay Navy and I’m stoked to be in flight school!
What complete nonsense. The terms the ECM wants is called a...CONDITIONAL RELEASE! There is no jeopardy for the Navy. You are released on the condition you get selected. They stood the process on its head. Navy gives conditional release, member applies to the Space Force, does not get selected, he stays in the Navy. Member is selected for Guardian Officer Skool, he is released from the Navy. That is how it should work, and it meets the terms of what the meat head at ECM wanted.

If the Navy will not release, fine. Just say so. I can't help but think whoever set up the Catch 22 you dealt with was illiterate.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

I just imagine “the two Spider-Man’s pointing at each other” meme template here.

Jacob.09

AWO1
I am currently a SNA in helo advance and I was a prior AWV1. I can tell you from my experience you will not get released to pursue a commissioning source from another branch. I was applying to USN, Air Force, Air Guard, and USCG for flight school back in 2019/20. I had been denied the first two looks at Navy OCS so I started talking to AF/ANG/USCG recruiters, took the AFOQT, even flew out to certain air guard units to meet n greet and “rush” at drill weekends. I had applied to multiple units as well and started the process with the AF. Unfortunately the ECM would not release me for a conditional release to a commissioning program unless there was something from that specific branch I was transferring too would provide some sort of documentation that would show I was for sure selected. On the other end no branch or recruiter would process my paper work until the navy gave me a conditional release stating upon selection I will be released from the Navy on said day to start OCS/OTS on said day. It was back n forth with Millington. Because the can’t start anything unless the know the Navy will release me. The earliest my ECM would release me is the day before my EAOS, which was 2 years away at this point. And with you just reenlisting and getting a bonus I don’t see the ECM helping you out, especially with you saying you were in a critically undermanned rate/NEC like I was in. The only commissioning source where you won’t get any issues is the Navy. I submitted again and got selected and it all worked out. Being able to stay Navy was the best decision. Idk where you are at in completing a degree but I would push hard on that. I hate to be the guy who brings negative news but you have to think, you going to the Army serves no benefit to the Navy, you re-enlisted, got a bonus, you’re filling a critically manned position, and you have time to serve, if you go to the Army they get nothing in return, you stay Navy the Navy gains an Officer.
Thank you for your insight, I truly do appreciate it. Sometimes bad news is still better than no news at all. For the time being I'll stick to my guns and continue to attempt the transfer, but I'll still keep my options open in case I have to pivot the way you did.

MGoBrew11

pilot

It’s no better at the Officer level.

I applied to Coast Guard DCA and had a resignation pending with the Navy. Coast Guard said Navy needed to sign the conditional release. I tried to argue I did not need that since I was resigning and would be out of the Navy by the time commissioning in Coast Guard would occur. Coast Guard said I still needed it.

Submitted the conditional release paperwork to Navy as an attachment to my resignation where it just withered away since it was totally unnecessary. Coast Guard sent me a very nice letter saying that while they appreciated my application, my lack of a conditional release made me ineligible for the board. So frickin stupid as at the time, in the Navy’s eyes, I was 100% getting out.

I ended up In Navy TAR where I am better paid but the whole situation still kind of boils my blood. Would have been a cool job.

EDIT: @FormerRecruitingGuru it was totally the spider man meme.