• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviations "One" Problem...

gs17

I’m going to open this thread back up with a question since there was some good talk about remote jobs/jobs in general for spouses. I’m coming up on orders in a few short months and will be up for “worldwide assignment.” My wife works a fully remote job that she enjoys.

There’s a chance we get orders to MCAS Iwakuni, and have even considered raising our hand for it (opinions on this are welcome, continuously trying to figure it out), but her ability to continue in her career is a huge player in this.

I’ve been doing some research on whether or not she would be able to continue working remote for a US company in Japan as a SOFA sponsored dependent. I have found a couple one -off articles and some posts on LinkedIn from folks who had the same questions. The conclusion being, that spouses SHOULD be able to continue working their remote jobs, since under SOFA they should not be subject to Japanese taxes or labor laws. However, there is no clear instruction or understanding of this concept, so employers have historically avoided the situation altogether.

She has asked her employer, in passing, if a PCS to Japan would be doable and was answered simply “no.” But this was based on the company assuming they would need to navigate Japanese taxes and labor laws, which I am not sure they would.

Is anyone here able to offer any insight or have experience with this? I am considering reaching out to a JAG at MCAS Iwakuni if I can find contact info to try and get a clear answer. Thanks in advance.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
There are lots of job sites out there specifically for remote work. Check instagram for job search gurus and follow them for tips/gouge. My employer doesn’t allow work laptops to leave the US so that’s a consideration too. Lastly, she could ask her current employer if they can convert her to 1099, which gets around a good amount of the “tHiS iS oUr CoRporAtE pOLicY” nonsense.

gs17

There are lots of job sites out there specifically for remote work. Check instagram for job search gurus and follow them for tips/gouge. My employer doesn’t allow work laptops to leave the US so that’s a consideration too. Lastly, she could ask her current employer if they can convert her to 1099, which gets around a good amount of the “tHiS iS oUr CoRporAtE pOLicY” nonsense.
Thanks for the reply, I hadn’t thought of the 1099 route, that could be worth looking into.

I should have added, the company already has employees overseas. Countries that come to mind are England, Germany, France, and Australia. But, it was specifically Japan that was a “no” because they are not already established there, and therefore don’t have the means to navigate the laws, convert the currency etc. I’m hoping that that wouldn’t be necessary.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
She has asked her employer, in passing, if a PCS to Japan would be doable and was answered simply “no.” But this was based on the company assuming they would need to navigate Japanese taxes and labor laws, which I am not sure they would.

It's worth a deep dive into the SCRA as your spouse can use your Home of Record address for residency. So the fact that your physically in Japan for telework may not matter.

I know that my wife had to pay basic Michigan taxes when she got a job here even though we're still FL residents. There is a section in the tax code for non residents working in the state and what rate they pay- it's much lower. But that was a job in which she showed up to an office.

When I was teleworking on the side while on full time MPA (T10 orders) the company used my HOR in FL as my address, not my Michigan address.

It's probably worth spending a little money and getting some solid advice from a tax attorney.

Edit: and if there is no provision for this, it's worth a letter and phone call to your representatives as this will continue to be a major issue for spouses of military members.

GroundPounder

Edit: and if there is no provision for this, it's worth a letter and phone call to your representatives as this will continue to be a major issue for spouses of military members.

You would think that it would be an easy fix, with the relatively small numbers of people that are involved. Seems like a very easy way to increase quality of life and contribute to retaining folks.

I'm sure if you got the two right people in the room, Mr. Smith and Mr. Ito could get that policy done in no time.

The 40 people between you and them are, on the other hand, there to make simple things complicated..

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I was in Japan one of my JOs had a wife who was a counselor licensed in Florida. She did remote counseling only for clients based in Florida to adhere to SCRA. Obviously might not apply to your situation, but there are ways to make it happen. Sometimes no is the answer because it doesn’t involve effort.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
I’m going to open this thread back up with a question since there was some good talk about remote jobs/jobs in general for spouses. I’m coming up on orders in a few short months and will be up for “worldwide assignment.” My wife works a fully remote job that she enjoys.

There’s a chance we get orders to MCAS Iwakuni, and have even considered raising our hand for it (opinions on this are welcome, continuously trying to figure it out), but her ability to continue in her career is a huge player in this.

I’ve been doing some research on whether or not she would be able to continue working remote for a US company in Japan as a SOFA sponsored dependent. I have found a couple one -off articles and some posts on LinkedIn from folks who had the same questions. The conclusion being, that spouses SHOULD be able to continue working their remote jobs, since under SOFA they should not be subject to Japanese taxes or labor laws. However, there is no clear instruction or understanding of this concept, so employers have historically avoided the situation altogether.

Is anyone here able to offer any insight or have experience with this? I am considering reaching out to a JAG at MCAS Iwakuni if I can find contact info to try and get a clear answer. Thanks in advance.
Tons of service members in Japan have spouses that work remotely back in the States with no issues. The biggest issue is that they are usually working when the partying starts on Friday night.

As far as Iwakuni goes, if you are a Marine, and are used to stupid Marine rules then Iwakuni should be just fine. If you don't like playing stupid Marine games then maybe find a different base in Japan to work at if you can. The town is nice, but it isn't Tokyo.

gs17

Tons of service members in Japan have spouses that work remotely back in the States with no issues. The biggest issue is that they are usually working when the partying starts on Friday night.

As far as Iwakuni goes, if you are a Marine, and are used to stupid Marine rules then Iwakuni should be just fine. If you don't like playing stupid Marine games then maybe find a different base in Japan to work at if you can. The town is nice, but it isn't Tokyo.
Got it thanks for that info, I'm hopeful it could work out. Not a marine but grew up the son of one. Iwakuni would be the only option for us.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you don't like playing stupid Marine games then maybe find a different base in Japan to work at if you can. The town is nice, but it isn't Tokyo.

Brett and I remember well the stupid Marine games in Iwakuni....

retro-bike-leaning-on-wall-caracterdesign.jpg

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Brett and I remember well the stupid Marine games in Iwakuni....

retro-bike-leaning-on-wall-caracterdesign.jpg
Goddammit Flash, my hairs used to bristle a bit on this attack on my service, but it brought up a memory of my bike being stolen in Iraq...so it's fair. 😆