• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Navy Advanced Multi Engine Trainer Replacement

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Right, but plenty of military aircraft are worthy of a civilian equivalent type despite having modifications. For example: the KC-135 warranting a 707 type.

And still, the 737-800 and -900 both fall under the 737NG, so I never understood the reasoning for the wings/fuselage combination of the P-8 being a contributing factor.

FSDOs used to give P-8 guys 737 type ratings when it first came out and VP-30 pushed the FAA to put a stop to it… couldn’t get on at SWA without a 737 type rating back then and guys transition timing were allowing them to get out at the end of their shore tour there for a while...

Last edited:

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Right, but plenty of military aircraft are worthy of a civilian equivalent type despite having modifications. For example: the KC-135 warranting a 707 type.
*pushes glasses up nose* Ackchuallay….

The myriad -135 variants aren’t based off the 707. They are based off the prototype -80 that Tex Johnston rolled over Lake Washington that was later developed into the 720. The -135s are a bit smaller in both wingspan and length than the 707-300 based military aircraft (E-3, E-6, E-8).

Fun fact: the 16 E-6s produced were the last 707s ever made.

My type rating says 707/720, so you are right that the type rating is the same, but they are technically different aircraft.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor

The myriad -135 variants aren’t based off the 707. They are based off the prototype -80 that Tex Johnston rolled over Lake Washington that was later developed into the 720. The -135s are a bit smaller in both wingspan and length than the 707-300 based military aircraft (E-3, E-6, E-8).

My type rating says 707/720, so you are right that the type rating is the same, but they are technically different aircraft.
So if the KC-135 =\= the 707, and the P-8 =\= the 737, but the -135 warrants a type, then the P-8 should as well.

It’s more of a novelty these days anyhow. Types are nothing more than a flex or “nice to have” but I’m still salty that for whatever reason, FAA or big navy said No. 😔

jollygreen07

pilot
Contributor
Agreed, but the -135 does have a civilian type equivalent in the 720. I guess the P-8 doesn’t because of the cobbling together of different major components.

I’ll go ahead and blame big-navy fuckery.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Ackchyually...

The 720 is not based off the 'Dash 80', it is based off the 707 and was a lighter and shorter version of it. The KC-135 and 707 are separate developments of the Dash 80, with the 135 being wider (144 inches) than the Dash 80 (132 inches) and the 707 even wider (148 inches) to accommodate 6 abreast seating as requested by the airlines.

Ahem....

The last 707 production line number was....drumroll....an RAF E-3D AWACS (with production line number of 1011 or 1012, I found conflicting info online, while the last E-6 made is 1008 from what I can find). The E-3D, French E-3F and E-6 were all made at the same time and were the last 3 707 types to be made.

:D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does the Navy fly C-12/King Airs single pilot? Most King Airs under 91, 91K, and 135 are operated single-pilot...
Back in the 80s a NFO buddy got orders to be a flag aide. He was sent to whatever served as the C-12 RAG and then flew as co-pilot on the Admiral's trips. Because he was a NFO they were technically flying single pilot but for weather mins and such the Navy considered it mulipilot, just like the S-3 and EA-6B.

jollygreen07

pilot
Contributor
Ackchyually...

The 720 is not based off the 'Dash 80', it is based off the 707 and was a lighter and shorter version of it. The KC-135 and 707 are separate developments of the Dash 80, with the 135 being wider (144 inches) than the Dash 80 (132 inches) and the 707 even wider (148 inches) to accommodate 6 abreast seating as requested by the airlines.

Ahem....

The last 707 production line number was....drumroll....an RAF E-3D AWACS (with production line number of 1011 or 1012, I found conflicting info online, while the last E-6 made is 1008 from what I can find). The E-3D, French E-3F and E-6 were all made at the same time and were the last 3 707 types to be made.

:D
Ok, you win. You’re a bigger airplane nerd than me.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, you win. You’re a bigger airplane nerd than me.

Success_Kid_3596018b.jpg