• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy doing their part in support of Marines

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
web_081201-M-0301S-063.jpg

081201-M-0301S-063 RAMADI, Iraq (Dec. 1, 2008) Command Master Chief Michael R. Ruiz, from Morenci, Ariz. assigned to the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, keeps watch as members of Personal Security Detachment Team 3 change a flat tire on their Humvee in Ramadi, Iraq. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. Lindsay L. Sayres/Released)

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
081201-M-0301S-063 RAMADI, Iraq (Dec. 1, 2008) Command Master Chief Michael R. Ruiz, from Morenci, Ariz. assigned to the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, keeps watch as members of Personal Security Detachment Team 3 change a flat tire on their Humvee in Ramadi, Iraq. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. Lindsay L. Sayres/Released)

That guy looks like one tough hombre. I wonder if we're trying to project some sort of image with our soldiers/Marines these days. They all look like robots, especially with the universal wear of black sunglasses. IIRC, a passage in Black Hawk Down alluded to this from the Somali perspective, a description of automaton-like Rangers roping from the sky in their body armor and black shades.

lmnop

I wonder if we're trying to project some sort of image with our soldiers/Marines these days. They all look like robots, especially with the universal wear of black sunglasses.

There's a frago that requires the wear of eye pro, and it's sunny in the desert.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agreed. All I could think was, "I pity the detailer who had to tell that CMC he was headed for a GSA."

Looks like he found a calling....even wearing the Globe and Anchor on his nametag

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I actually really like those Eye Safety Systems glasses with the interchangeable lenses....granted, they are not Maui Jim or Costa del Mars.....but they are great for hiking, river rafting, motorcycle riding (at night), etc.

Clux4

Banned
This guy is not in the proper outfit. He should be wearing a FROG suit if he was on a convoy as the caption says.

Eye-pro is MANDATORY these days. Don't be the one that shows up to the convoy brief without one.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
This guy is not in the proper outfit. He should be wearing a FROG suit if he was on a convoy as the caption says.

Eye-pro is MANDATORY these days. Don't be the one that shows up to the convoy brief without one.

Is everyone going outside the wire wearing FROGs now? I know some guys from CLB1 Security Co that returned a few months ago. I'm pretty sure they were just wearing nomex bags. As far as I know they never wore MARPAT on a mission though. Anyway maybe the CMC is a part of the group that is being escourted and just stepped out to lend a hand.

He's got all the high speed gear right down to the ACOG FlashKill and one-handed trauma tourniquet.

Clux4

Banned
Yeap. The only people left wearing bags these days are the contractors.
The FROGs were designed to look like the MARPAT. You really have to look closely to tell the difference. If they were Security Co then they definitely wore FROGs.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Yeap. The only people left wearing bags these days are the contractors.
The FROGs were designed to look like the MARPAT. You really have to look closely to tell the difference. If they were Security Co then they definitely wore FROGs.

What are FROGs? And I'll echo the opinion that said CMC looks tough as nails.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Bags are comfortable (for the most part), but I think that anyone who has taken a knee while wearing one would likely gripe about the zipper placement on the thigh pocket. It sucks. The FROG, or Fire-Resistant Organizational Gear, not only doesn't have that problem, but I actually find the material it's made out of to be a bit more breathable. Not to mention durable.

While in Afghanistan, my Marines and I were issued (1) bag each for convoy ops, and we eventually 'acquired' some FROGs from the grunts, who had ordered too many. Wearing the top under body armor is infinitely better than either cammies or a bag, thanks to nothing on the torso of the shirt to be pushed in by (in my case) over 70lbs of armor w/ gear attached to it. The pants are breathable, durable, have those spiffy calf pockets, and they take a lot longer to fully develop a disgusting field funk.

Clux is right about Marines and FROGs, too. There's either a MARADMIN or MARCENT directive (I can't remember which) that specifically states that the uniform for Marines conducting convoy operations will be the FROG.

Plus, you can take a shit in a FROG without having to strip your armor, helmet, etc. off.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Also, I didn't see a single contractor wearing a bag in Afghanistan. Instead, they tended to lean towards 5.11 cargo pants and a polo shirt, with hard plate carriers and helmets slung over their shoulders. At least, that's what the Scan Eagle and MRAP guys wore. It was a struggle (as the FARP OIC) to even get those Scan Eagle fuckers to wear pants to work. With limited exceptions, though, a great bunch of guys to work with.