• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy F-5s

HuggyU2

None
We do both, and we've been flying twice as long as you've been around, junior.
True, in some respects, but I must mention that I'm in the oldest flying squadron in history,.... any service,... any nation. All the way back to the days of Pancho Villa.
So who ya callin' "junior"?
icon12.gif

Steve Davies

Aviation Writer & Photographer
I'm in the oldest flying squadron in history,.... any service,... any nation. All the way back to the days of Pancho Villa.
icon12.gif

You are? According to official US Air Force history, the USAF's 1st Aero Squadron (which is the one I am guessing you are referring to given that you are a U-2 driver with the 9th Wing at Beale) dates back to March 1916.

But the RAF's No. 1 Flying Squadron dates back to May 1912 (and even further back if you were to count dirigibles).

I would also bet that the Germans, Austrians, French and Belgians also have squadrons formed at the same time - a long time before you guys went after the Mexican bandit by air.

Have I missed something?

FastMover

NFO
None
51WXNPVAXPL._AA240_.jpg

This book has some great photos of VFC-13 F-5s (as well as NSAWC F-18s and F-16s) doing their thing at NAS Fallon.

It also has sections about CAEWWS and the Seahawk Weapons School. Good stuff.:)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
True, in some respects, but I must mention that I'm in the oldest flying squadron in history,.... any service,... any nation. All the way back to the days of Pancho Villa.
icon12.gif

You have any good U-2 pics?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
BTW ... the F-5 is one of the "toughest" opponents I ever faced head-to-head while breathing O2 in the Adversary role.

Prior to the merge .... with no A/A radar and no GCI (for me:)) ... I was lucky to pick up a "Talley" on the F-5 when working against them .... as "they" are like a "spot on the windscreen" .... Navy or USAF.

But then .... I've always been "lucky" .... :D

HuggyU2

None
I always found calling "GUNS KILL" or "FOX TWO" on AF aircraft to be a soothing tonic ...

dallasadversary007smalldp3.png

A4s,
Your memory is slipping,.. based on when you flew fighters, those were "Army Air Corps" aircraft you put in your gunsight!
icon10.gif

I keed!! I keed!!!!

HuggyU2

None
You are? According to official US Air Force history, the USAF's 1st Aero Squadron (which is the one I am guessing you are referring to given that you are a U-2 driver with the 9th Wing at Beale) dates back to March 1916.

But the RAF's No. 1 Flying Squadron dates back to May 1912 (and even further back if you were to count dirigibles).

I would also bet that the Germans, Austrians, French and Belgians also have squadrons formed at the same time - a long time before you guys went after the Mexican bandit by air.

Have I missed something?
Steve Davies, I'm very unhappy with you!! Wouldn't you know I make a statement, and I've got a Brit saying I could be wrong. And Brits usually know their aviation. What are the chances I'd have someone reading this that knows RAF history.
Actually, I believe the 1st Prov. Aero Sqdn started up in 1913, but I'll have to double check that. Still doesn't beat your 1912. But are you sure that No.1 had fixed wing aircraft?

HuggyU2

None
According to 1 (F) Squadron's website, they formed 13 May 1912, but were a balloon squadron. It wasn't until 2 years later that they "re-equipped with aircraft".
Balloons are silly. Balloons don't count.
I win.

Steve Davies

Aviation Writer & Photographer
Huggy

You never qualified your statement to say 'the oldest squadron to fly powered, fixed-wing aircraft'. You clearly said 'the oldest squadron'. And on that note, do not win!

But yes, I agree, balloons are a bit lame and do not count (and if they did, France would win since it formed the first ever ballooning squadron during the Revolution in the 1790s) and we cannot have that!

Now, will you post some of your incredible U-2 shots for the these Navy guys to marvel at?

According to 1 (F) Squadron's website, they formed 13 May 1912, but were a balloon squadron. It wasn't until 2 years later that they "re-equipped with aircraft".
Balloons are silly. Balloons don't count.
I win.

HuggyU2

None
Now, will you post some of your incredible U-2 shots for the these Navy guys to marvel at?
My alibi: my computer mort'd, and I bought a new one. I've got to download the pics from the old one to this one. I'll get to it soon.

Huggy

Update: here's a shot of the Bay Bridge. There's lots of work being done on it.

Attachments

• Bay Bridge.jpg
    Bay Bridge.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 80

JT Eagle

Oldest Squadron

No 1 Squadron RFC did indeed begin with balloons, but was flying fixed-wing aircraft by 1914.

The first fixed-wing squadrons in the RFC were Nos. II and 3, today flying Tornado GR4s and Typhoon F2s, respectively.

From the RAF Marham website:
No II Squadron Royal Flying Corps, was formed on 13 May 1912 at Farnborough just one month after the Royal Flying Corps itself was created. The Squadron, along with No 3 Squadron, had the distinction of being the first fixed-wing flying squadrons to be created in the world (No 1 Squadron flew balloons), thus the precedence was set for II (AC) Squadron to establish a number of firsts throughout its history.

JT

HuggyU2

None
OK. I'll revise my statement to "oldest flying squadron in the United States military".