• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy F/A-18s Collide - 2 Dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Two dead after fighter jets collide over Columbia River

By Andrew Kramer
The Associated Press

PORTLAND — Two Navy pilots are dead after the F-18 fighter jets they were flying collided Wednesday over the Columbia River in northeastern Oregon, Deputy Chris Fitzsimmons of the Gilliam County Sheriff's Office said.

A third crew member survived the accident and was taken to Mid-Columbia Medical Center in The Dalles, Fitzsimmons said.

Fitzsimmons said one of the persons involved was found dead on the Oregon side of the river, while the other was on the Washington side.

A Navy spokesman in San Diego said the planes may be assigned to the Pacific Fleet there, but could not confirm it. Details would be released as soon as possible, he said.

Witnesses reported hearing a "big boom," then seeing a fiery explosion in the sky, said Fitzsimmons, the agency's emergency management coordinator.

Fitzsimmons said debris landed as far away as Interstate 84, eight miles north of Arlington.

Witness Linda Williams, an employee of the Village Inn in Arlington, said one parachute landed on a hillside and one in the river.

"We felt it, like a supersonic boom, like someone ran into the building" she said. "We saw two parachutes come down."

The Oregon National Guard was preparing to send two Blackhawk helicopters to northeastern Oregon, said guard spokesman Cpt. Mike Braibish. The helicopters would provide whatever support necessary, he said.

Debris from the incident could include fuel, metal and composite carbon fibers, said Chuck Donaldson, emergency response manager for the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality.

"Normally the fuel in those things tends to burn up in the crash or evaporate on the ground very quickly," Donaldson said.

The other material would also be unlikely to have much of an environmental impact because it is so widely dispersed, he said.

Donaldson said that anyone who comes across debris should leave it alone and report it to their local sheriff, who would then contact the military.

"They've been pretty rigorous about picking everything up after a crash," he said.

The F-18 has either one or two seats depending on the version. It was first test-flown in 1978.

It is used by the Navy and Marine Corps and several countries including Canada, Australia, Spain, Kuwait, Switzerland, Finland and Malaysia.

In the American arsenal the F-18 replaced the F-4 Phantom II, the A-7 Corsair and the A-6 Intruder as those planes were phased out of service in the 1990s.

They are designed for air-to-air and air-to-ground combat.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
News report says Navy, video says they're from Miramar. They may actually be Marine.

http://easylink.playstream.com/katu/040721arlington_crash2.wvx

040721aviator_parachute_422.jpg

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
That is certainly a bad deal. Certainly is sad to see a shipmate lose his life doing his best for our country.

I have worked about 14 mishaps......They all make me wonder what happened and what could have happened to prevent it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:
so I'm taking that they were both D's and one crew managed to eject?

Not sure. On another board where I got this report from, someone said it may have been a C and D model.

FlyingDoc

I saw it on the news last night, I believe they said 2 ejected.... if only one survived that means that it must have been the D that had the ejection; right?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
They both could have ejected and only the C guy survived. Ejecting doesn't necessarily guarantee survival...

I'm not sure which guy survived though.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
2 Hornets from Miramar, one was an F/A-18A, the other was an F/A-18B ... all ejected, 1 surviver, two dead.

any more info beyond that is FOUO, check the message traffic board (if you have access to it) ...

semper fi

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
New News Article:

July 22, 2004

Fighter jet collision kills two pilots

By Christian Lowe
Times staff writer

Two Marine Reserve Hornet jet fighters crashed July 21 near Arlington, Ore., killing two Marine aviators.

The crash occurred around 3 p.m. Pacific time near the bombing range in Boardman along the Columbia River. The jets, a single-seat F/A-18A and a two-seat F/A-18B from Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 134, based at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, Calif., collided during a routine air combat maneuvering exercise, said Capt. Pat Kerr, Marine Forces Reserve spokesman.

All three aviators ejected from their stricken aircraft, but only the single-seat fighter pilot survived. He was rushed to Mid-Columbia Medical Center in Dalles, Ore., with what Kerr termed “very minor injuries.” The pilot was later released.

The aviators’ names have not yet been disclosed. The dead will be identified only after their next of kin have been notified.

Witness reports indicate that at least one of the aviators was dead when he hit the Columbia River’s waters.

Officials were not sure whether the aviator riding in the back seat of the F/A-18B was a pilot or a weapons systems officer.

Marine officials could not provide information regarding the cause of the crash, saying the incident is under investigation.

The July 21 crash is the third fatal F/A-18 mishap in less than one month, and brings the death toll in Marine aviation accidents to 12 since Oct. 1. At this rate, the Corps is on track for one of its worst years for aviation safety in 13 years.

After the back-to-back crashes of MCAS Beaufort, S.C.-based Hornets in two separate incidents in late June, the commander of Marine Aircraft Group 31 grounded his non-deployed fleet in an effort to force pilots to concentrate on safety. The stand-down was lifted July 8 with a gradual return to routine training for the group’s squadrons.

So far the Reserve has not decided to ground any of its aircraft after the July 21 incident.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
USMCR F/A-18C or D, NOT!

jarhead said:
2 Hornets from Miramar, one was an F/A-18A, the other was an F/A-18B ... all ejected, 1 surviver, two dead.

any more info beyond that is FOUO, check the message traffic board (if you have access to it) ...
Agreed! I kinda thought the news article(s) were inaccurate. Asfar as I know, NO RESERVE SQUADRON has started flying the C or D variant and that has yet to happen.

TANGO 1

Contributor
I mean really, does anybody know what might cause situations like this. I want to believe both were aware that the other was in the environment. I will like to believe that this guys were properly trained.
Can anybody throw something in. Do you think they were neglegent or were they just being Topgunish or was it just pure accident (human factor). I mean no one is perfect.
If my memory can serve me correctly there was a case of air collision at MCAS beaufort a while ago, two pilots were lost at Beaufort last month as well (not a collision case)

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
TANGO 1 said:
I mean really, does anybody know what might cause situations like this. I want to believe both were aware that the other was in the environment. I will like to believe that this guys were properly trained.
Can anybody throw something in. Do you think they were neglegent or were they just being Topgunish or was it just pure accident (human factor). I mean no one is perfect.
If my memory can serve me correctly there was a case of air collision at MCAS beaufort a while ago, two pilots were lost at Beaufort last month as well (not a collision case)

Anyone can Monday morning quarter back these things. Anyone on this board who tries to analyze it and call it neglences or pilot error without the facts would be an idiot.

Training is dangerous, unfortunatly these things do happen. Being in a hornet sqd (as you claim) one would think you would no that, and be hesitant to sit here and try to get people to say they were ill trained, show boating or just being irresponsible.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
TANGO 1 said:

First off, I would just like to say I don't believe the saying that there is no such thing as a stupid question or comment. Second, why does any mishap happen? It could be any number of factors, from human error to mechanical failure. How does a Boeing 727 hit a Cessna 172 on an absolutely beautiful clear day (September 25, 1978)? It's way too early to determine the cause of this mishap. A formal safety investigation board will convene, possibly a JAG, and then go from there. By the way, what is being topgunish???

Status
Not open for further replies.