• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy FAC IA?

hobiesailor13

pilot
A few moths ago a friend of mine in SEAL team 10 told me about a Navy LT, SH-60 pilot, who had deployed with them as a forward air controller. I found an article about an FAC IA position right about the time my computer died, and now I can't find it again, so I was wondering if anyone here could help me out. I'm not eligible for an IA just yet, but a few people who are asked me if I could find something concrete about the position so they can talk to their chains of command. Any help would be great, especially specifics on how to get this as an IA. Thanks

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Fac Ia

There is such a thing as a FAC IA. Get in touch with your detailer....anonymously (or as one of your buddies who you want to do a favor for). TACP and FAC are the same thing. Don't quote me on this but I think the training is less than 2 months and 9 controls. Remember that asking for an IA is like asking for a root canal. The sooner you get it done, the less painful it will be. I recommend MAAP in the CAOC in Qatar if you cannot pull off the FAC deal.

phrogpilot73

There is such a thing as a FAC IA. Get in touch with your detailer....anonymously (or as one of your buddies who you want to do a favor for). TACP and FAC are the same thing. Don't quote me on this but I think the training is less than 2 months and 9 controls. Remember that asking for an IA is like asking for a root canal. The sooner you get it done, the less painful it will be. I recommend MAAP in the CAOC in Qatar if you cannot pull off the FAC deal.
The Navy training is roughly 2 months long, and the MINIMUM is 9 controls (you get a shitload more than 9). There is additionally the EWTGLANT TACP course that gets you qualified in about 3 weeks. TACP and FAC are not necessarily the same thing. The TACP is Tactical Air Control Party, and includes both radio operators and FACs/JTACs. Per the Joint MOA, FACs and JTACs are the same thing. Generally, the Marine Corps uses the term FAC to identify their pilots who are running around with the grunts, and JTAC to indicate a ground officer/SNCO who has been through the training.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Get in touch with your detailer

I wouldn't do that. I've seen what happens when a person contacts a detailer for an IA on his own w/out going through the front office. Hilarity did not ensue. Wait until you get to your fleet squadron and get settled before you try and actively pursue anything (other than just asking the questions that you are).

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A few moths ago a friend of mine in SEAL team 10 told me about a Navy LT, SH-60 pilot, who had deployed with them as a forward air controller. I found an article about an FAC IA position right about the time my computer died, and now I can't find it again, so I was wondering if anyone here could help me out. I'm not eligible for an IA just yet, but a few people who are asked me if I could find something concrete about the position so they can talk to their chains of command. Any help would be great, especially specifics on how to get this as an IA. Thanks

Your bio says "student pilot." How close are you to winging or whatnot?

hobiesailor13

pilot
Your bio says "student pilot." How close are you to winging or whatnot?

I'm just finishing up primary; like I said I'm not close to being eligible for an IA anytime soon, but I'm trying to help out some guys, mainly one of my instructors, who are since I was the one who initially told them about it.

hscs

pilot
If you are with the teams, you will be a JTAC. My guess is that you will go through their course at NSAWC. I haven't seen a pilot JTAC, though -- but have heard of one pointy nose type doing the JTAC thing. They do have an officer on their staff that is a air LNO.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn't do that. I've seen what happens when a person contacts a detailer for an IA on his own w/out going through the front office. Hilarity did not ensue. Wait until you get to your fleet squadron and get settled before you try and actively pursue anything (other than just asking the questions that you are).
Ok, I'll bite. I hear what you're saying, but WHY? Why would showing the initiative to get into the fight be seen as bad. Sounds like someone's feelings might get hurt that they didn't go through them first.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ok, I'll bite. I hear what you're saying, but WHY? Why would showing the initiative to get into the fight be seen as bad. Sounds like someone's feelings might get hurt that they didn't go through them first.

Because it screwed up the front office's plans for who to go where and when. It was a DH, who needs to get his checks in the boxes. When you're heavy on DHs, it's hard to cycle everyone through so they can get both their deployment and their "hard" job (Ops or MO). Since the guy was slated to deploy at some point w/in the next year (at the time this happened), his taking an IA would have resulted in reshuffling everyone at the last minute. This was before the IA thing really became a norm.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to volunteer for such a thing, what I'm saying is don't do it completely on your own and leave the front office out. I can't remember how the XO found out (whether the member told him or if it was a call from the detailer), but either way, the whole deal had been struck and agreed upon and THEN the XO was told. Not very conducive keeping the chain of command in the loop.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Interesting situation. The Detailer is arguably there for you, not your Chain of Command. They deal with Placement side of the "fleshpeddling" trade.

I can see what Dev is talking about: the "Front Office" has a mission to accomplish and they do have a great deal of influence on your current quality of job and future in how they evaluate and ultimately rank you. Any formal request has to be endorsed by them so Dev is correct in advising that "they" be consulted.

As to other side of argument by LEL. You do have every right to seek counsel from your detailer. Although your chain of command is supposed to be grooming you for bigger and better things, they have a vested interest in keeping you in place whereas the Detailer is focused on your career progression in order to get you the assignments you need. The Detailer is likely more current on what is available and how it plays in the tank at Millington. If career is not a consideration, have at it.

That said, IA is not the only path to working in SPECWAR (or SPECOPS in general) and working as a Air Liaision Officer or LNO and getting a JTAC qual isn't the only path there, but one that more than a handful have taken and proven themselves as an assignment and not as an IA billet.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Just last month we had a guy (Flew 60's) get a flying IA. It was flying, but the job was not as a pilot. Some type of flying FAC.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I know of it, leave it at that.......

My post was not a stab at NFO's. I brought it up because a flying IA would be better then a ground IA IMO. Even if it is in the back. He was the first I have heard of getting a flying IA.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My post was not a stab at NFO's. I brought it up because a flying IA would be better then a ground IA IMO. Even if it is in the back. He was the first I have heard of getting a flying IA.

I did not think it was a stab at NFO's at all, it was about the particulars of the job which should not be further delved into on the board........;)