• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Helo Down, all hands safe.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
well I was speaking of API as a whole....not just the survival part (although a good part of that was PPT too). About 4 weeks of PPT....apparently we forget easily...

phrogpilot73

Huh? Except for maybe 30-45 minutes of classroom time at the beginning, the course is taught almost completely in the pool.
Man, you guys must be lucky. Like HH-60H said, I remember the initial API stuff being PAINFUL classroom stuff on all thing physiological. More than about 30-45 minutes.

When I requaled in the dunker in Jacksonville, I seem to remember the first day was classroom then we were in the pool every day after that. I have to do it again as part of my coming back in, so I guess I'll see...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
well I was speaking of API as a whole....not just the survival part (although a good part of that was PPT too). About 4 weeks of PPT....apparently we forget easily...

Fair enough, as I was referring to the helo portion of the training, which is pretty quick in the classroom, as well as the 4 year requal course, which is mostly in the pool.

For those of you who haven't been through a water survival requal in a while, you'll find it very different from the olden days of API. I think there was a thread about this at some point, but the big push has been to make it realistic and hands on as opposed to the Powerpoint induced coma. I've done two, one at Miramar (day rescue, since the pool was outdoors) and one at NPA (night rescue) and it was pretty realistic...except for that whole swim 10 feet and bonk your head on the wall thing.