• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Helo to NOAA/USCG FW

pilot_throwaway

Naval Aviator
pilot
Hey all,

Does anyone happen to know someone that transitioned RW-FW via the Coast Guard DCA program or via IST to NOAA? Niche question I know, just trying to evaluate my options. Currently on my first shore tour in HSC for timing considerations, no FW experience outside of flight school.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My info is pretty dated, but in the past, if DCA is open, you would reach out to the program and apply. You would then go to a CG fleet concentration area and interview. At the time when I was looking at it, everyone got the same 5 questions which included a sea story, how to fly an approach with a plate they hand you, and a couple of other aviation questions.

I was at Whiting, so all the guys that went would go over to ATC in Mobile for their interview, but I don't think that was required, it's just where they have some senior pilots to do the interview (PIE, SAN, ECG, etc).

It seemed the only guys that could get interviews at NOAA were the VP guys, and of the several guys that went, none were hired. They all went down to Macdill, I believe.

Again, dated info, but that was the general flow.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Hey all,

Does anyone happen to know someone that transitioned RW-FW via the Coast Guard DCA program or via IST to NOAA? Niche question I know, just trying to evaluate my options. Currently on my first shore tour in HSC for timing considerations, no FW experience outside of flight school.

Math or science degree required for be considered by NOAA. They don’t care about flight experience as much as they care about technical education. They can teach anyone how to fly but can’t teach anyone how to understand whats going on in the back and CRM with the scientist, apparently.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I know two people who went the NOAA route. They do lat transfer boards as people leave. I spoke to their recruiter via phone in 2020 when I thought my civilian route was drying up. Literally, shoot them an email or call and they'll walk you through it, it was just one LT back in 2020.

DCA should be open too, know a few folks in Milton who did it. Good deal as well if you wanna stay wearing a flight suit. They used to want a conditional release from big Navy. Not sure how that's being handled today as the PERS-43 folks were making people go through all the resignation wickets to get the conditional release, which was bullshit.

Oh, and I doubt it'll let you dodge a disassociated tour if that's what you're thinking.

MGoBrew11

pilot
I know two people who went the NOAA route. They do lat transfer boards as people leave. I spoke to their recruiter via phone in 2020 when I thought my civilian route was drying up. Literally, shoot them an email or call and they'll walk you through it, it was just one LT back in 2020.

DCA should be open too, know a few folks in Milton who did it. Good deal as well if you wanna stay wearing a flight suit. They used to want a conditional release from big Navy. Not sure how that's being handled today as the PERS-43 folks were making people go through all the resignation wickets to get the conditional release, which was bullshit.

Oh, and I doubt it'll let you dodge a disassociated tour if that's what you're thinking.
Coast Guard requires the “conditional release” even if you’re still resigning. That’s ultimately how my application got messed up. Big Navy took too long to approve my resignation and Coast Guard was demanding a conditional release that wasn’t even necessary since I was resigning. Resignation got approved the day of the DCA board, but Coast Guard said it was too late.

And yes, applied from the boat. So you’re not getting out that tour.

Ventus

Weather Guesser
pilot
Math or science degree required for be considered by NOAA. They don’t care about flight experience as much as they care about technical education. They can teach anyone how to fly but can’t teach anyone how to understand whats going on in the back and CRM with the scientist, apparently.
What if you used to be a forecaster?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
What if you used to be a forecaster?

There’s an app for that these days… but here’s what they’re currently looking for.