• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Helos and support to Special Operations

torpedo0126

MH-60S squadrons supporting Naval Special Warfare

How does NSW work for helos? I heard that some MH-60S squadrons will deploy specifically for NSW work? Is there any truth to that? How hard would it be to select that squadron if its true?

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
All HS and HSC squadrons are capable of NSW and train to it. Some squadrons may do more actual operations than others. The main squadron that does NSW focused deployments is not "normally" one you can select out of flight school.

torpedo0126

All HS and HSC squadrons are capable of NSW and train to it. Some squadrons may do more actual operations than others. The main squadron that does NSW focused deployments is not "normally" one you can select out of flight school.

Can you tell me that squadron? Or would you have to kill me? :D

torpedo0126

thanks for the info...so what in the Navy will put you "in the thick of things?" Excuse my ignorance on this please.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
That all depends on your definition. Practically any squadron you select will put you in the middle of something. It just depends on what mission and where in the world. Without going into details a lot of the NSW type stuff comes up at different times and places and isn't likely to be publicized.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
A reason we can't talk about?

It's actually not a very exciting reason. Big Navy decided there were too many nuggets coming out of flight school. There was a limited offer for one or two year groups- 2 years active at a reserve squadron followed by 6 years SELRES. Not a bad deal for certain people (depending on your life situation or whatever), definitely beats getting sent home with no say in the matter!

It wasn't a great deal for that squadron though, getting nuggets in a place where the average flight time is in thousands of hours... law of unintended consequences and all.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yup...the "straight to the Reservistas for you, Ensign," was going on at NGU while I was there. To see JG's at the Club with VR squadron patches caused more than a few confused glances.

Anyway, torpedo - sounds like you may be suffering from EGS (Ensign Gunslinger Syndrome). It's a common malady affecting many healthy young men and women about your age, who have seen the flashy-lights and pop-rock Navy videos, with the manly tones of Scott Glenn or Keith David growling in their ears that they should accelerate their lives. So at some point, you understandably get the idea that "real" Naval Air consists of Hornets throwing on a shit-hot break at 10K' and helos with SEALs in their Batmans rig in the back. Equally, understandably, you want to "get in the thick of things" as soon as possible.

Concentrate on getting your wings first, prove yourself, then you get "in the thick of things".

highside7r

None
Ran into some active HS bubbas last OIF deployment that were flying with HSC, I guess to augment the Reserve guys in the "kick down doors" missions.

torpedo0126

Anyway, torpedo - sounds like you may be suffering from EGS (Ensign Gunslinger Syndrome).

I might have a mild case of that, but I know that naval aviation is not a film production. The reason I asked the original question is because I was talking to a prior and he was telling me thats what he was looking to do (coming from aircrew). I was just interested. I actually have no preference on platform and my sole desire is to earn wings.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I might have a mild case of that...I was just interested. I actually have no preference on platform and my sole desire is to earn wings.

Oh, you big fibber. You also said this:

...so what in the Navy will put you "in the thick of things?"

Nothing wrong with it, but some of you guys get so pumped-up you forget about the gigantic fucking mountain you have to climb before you get to do the cool stuff.

torpedo0126

i meant going out and doing things as opposed to going to a squadron that might not deploy as much (I don't know the truth to that but I am sure some deploy more than others). I'm pretty intimidated about the mountain, but having an endstate in mind makes it seem a little bit smaller.