• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy joins the pack and adopts Digital Camouflage

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
ACU
ACU1.jpg

NWU:
navyworkinguniform.jpg

The approved version is basically the one on the left.
creepto said:
Also, in the new Navy times, the new dress working uniform will be the khaki top with the black pants and black garrison cap.
That's only for E1-E6... everyone else will still have service khaki. In about 20 years (or however long TFU takes for phae 2) they may resurrect the service dress khaki.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I've seen that one... shoulda been more specific... was referring to the khaki over black uniform. I've got a mental pic, and it ain't good... I think the word I'm lookin' for is "Butt-fugly"

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just saw the message this morning. The new uniforms have been approved for ALL communities. Uniforms will not be ready for purchase until Fall 2007, and enlisted folks at RTC will be first to get them.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
TheBubba said:
I've got a mental pic, and it ain't good... I think the word I'm lookin' for is "Butt-fugly"

You've got it right. I've seen one in real life, and it just looks odd. Very Army. It's also weird to see an E-4 in khakis.

Hmm...unless this isn't the uniform you're talking about.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Gator, that would be the uniform I'm talking about... I'd definitely be interested to see a pic of this.

When did you see the new uniform?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I saw it at PSD in Honolulu. My record clerk was wearing it, but I didn't know that was him. He walks up to help me, and I'm quickly scrambling in my head as to why a PN3 I've talked to on the phone was wearing either an Army uniform or apparently just made Chief. Then it clicked.

Marine4life

The Marine Corps adopted its Marpat cammie print a few years ago with the intention of creating a distinct 'Marine' look. The Commandant requested this. The uniform works well in woodland and desert environments. It also serves its secondary goal of creating the distinctive Marine look, which has huge implications in terms of psychological warfare (historically, Marines have resolved conflicts by just showing up). Does anyone remember the ROK Marines in Vietnam?

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
Marine4life said:
The Marine Corps adopted its Marpat cammie print a few years ago with the intention of creating a distinct 'Marine' look. The Commandant requested this. The uniform works well in woodland and desert environments. It also serves its secondary goal of creating the distinctive Marine look, which has huge implications in terms of psychological warfare (historically, Marines have resolved conflicts by just showing up). Does anyone remember the ROK Marines in Vietnam?

My aunt was a colonel in the Marine Corps and when she was over in the middle east, the saying was 'dont mess with the white sleeves' (due to Marines rolling their sleeves showing the inside of the clothing while the army rolled their sleeves showing the outside)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Marine4life said:
The Marine Corps adopted its Marpat cammie print a few years ago with the intention of creating a distinct 'Marine' look. The Commandant requested this... ...It also serves its secondary goal of creating the distinctive Marine look

Yeah... but the only problem with this is that it was made on "borrowed" Army equipment and time...

The uniform works well in woodland and desert environments.

This is the other reason why the digital camies didn't remain a Marine-only thing.

Yes, I know the Army's pattern is different. However, since it was designed using Army equipment, our Borthers In Green figured they should be able to look cool too.

I must add that the Army's cammies are butt-fugly. Just doesn't look right.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
I saw it at PSD in Honolulu. My record clerk was wearing it, but I didn't know that was him. He walks up to help me, and I'm quickly scrambling in my head as to why a PN3 I've talked to on the phone was wearing either an Army uniform or apparently just made Chief. Then it clicked.

Then the term referring to E-7s and above by calling us "khakis" now might take on a whole other meaning......

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
TheBubba said:
Yeah... but the only problem with this is that it was made on "borrowed" Army equipment and time...

This is the other reason why the digital camies didn't remain a Marine-only thing.

Yes, I know the Army's pattern is different. However, since it was designed using Army equipment, our Borthers In Green figured they should be able to look cool too.

I must add that the Army's cammies are butt-fugly. Just doesn't look right.

Uh, you sure about that? It's my understanding that the Canadians had the digital cammie long before USMC did. USMC went to Canada to to work with them on how to generate a similar pattern. As a result, the Marines came up w/ their own, unique, program to generate the random pattern, and then copyrighted it. So the whole idea of the Marines leading the way in camoflage is kinda out the door...unless the Navy Times is wrong (nah, couldn't be).

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Gator,

I am sure of this. Info came from a Marine I know that was part of the group that was looking into what type of cammo pattern to use for the uniform.

From how he explained it to me, the Army had been doing research into digital cammies before the Marines, but scrapped the idea cuz they couldn't get it to work well. When the Marines started looking for a look distinctly their own, after looking at several patterns, someone came across the discarded Army research and got it to work. The pattern they came up with is the one the Marines ar wearing now.

When the Army saw that the Marines got it to work, they went off of that. Developing their own pattern of course, but piggy backed off of what the Marines did to make the design work. The Army used a different colors and color ditribution scheme. The basic principle, however, is the same.

Not saying the Marines didn't get some help from the Canadians... but from my understanding, the basic idea came from some old US Army research that had been put out to pasture.

FlyingBeagle

pilot
This whole "white sleeve"/"white leg" thing is something with endless variations that is claimed to occur in every single war this nation has fought. My guess is that something along these lines may have happened once upon a time, but it's become exagerated to mythic proportions. I think the enemy has more pressing things to worry about than how we roll our sleeves.

As far as the Army uniform, I like it except that they seem to be cut a little funny, and I hate the way the name and branch tags are horizontal, and not even with the pocket. I don't know if the Army ever did this, but my dad's AF camo had the slanted pockets/nametag, so it's not like it's a new idea. It looks so bad that I can only guess they didn't want to look like they were completely copying the Marines (or if Bubba is right, copying the guys who stole their idea).

I think it would be cool if ours had slanted pockets too. I'd like to see the desert/woodland patterns as well. Finally, does anyone know why the polish boots are for the boat, and no shine is for shore?