• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy North Island (NZY) Info

HuggyU2

None
I'm on my annual pilgrimage to the NZY cottages on the beach.

Question: what's the story on this boat? It is beached right in front of the cottages, and appears to have been here a number of months? With the US Navy being the experts in boat recovery, why has this remained here so long that it is sinking into the beach? There has got to be a reason the station leadership hasn't had that wreck removed.

Right after seeing that, I see another boat on the beach, in the off-limits area near the approach end of Runway 36 (seen in the third picture). Again, what's the story?

IMG_3303.jpegIMG_3304.jpegIMG_3305.jpeg

Finally, is there a weeknight to visit the I-Bar that is better than others? I'm leaving Friday morning so that's not happening (I'll be back in a couple Fridays and will go then).

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

HuggyU2

None
Thanks.

I was curious if there was something like the old "Wednesday night" at the Miramar O'Club... back when that was a big thing.

For those are not familiar with that, there's an old movie with a good scene from a Miramar Wednesday. In reality, the Club was better than the movie depicted... but you get the idea.

That movie is called "Top Gun".

As for the boat... leaving wrecked boats on the beach right outside your Gateway Inn and the cottages is bad form. I would think it would be a major priority... and if it's a regular event, they would have something in place to remove beached boats quickly.

Last edited:

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Thanks.

I was curious if there was something like the old "Wednesday night" at the Miramar O'Club... back when that was a big thing.

For those are not familiar with that, there's an old movie with a good scene from a Miramar Wednesday. In reality, the Club was better than the movie depicted... but you get the idea.

As for the boat... leaving wrecked boats on the beach right outside your Gateway Inn and the cottages is bad form. I would think it would be a major priority... and if it's a regular event, they would have something in place to remove beached boats quickly.
The I Bar is 99% of the time super low key. It’s a good bar to hang with fellow aviators in flight suits, telling stories, drinking beers, and playing beer die while looking at the neat memorabilia. I assume post-9/11 when bases stopped inviting local women to the bars, the scene you are describing at Miramar died out, sadly.

With that said, if it’s no nuisance to anyone but retired vacation goers, I can understand why the Navy has private vessel removal on “low pri” given the state of most of our shore side buildings.

Last edited:

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I think what Huggy is REALLY saying, is, you would NEVER see anything like this at an Air Force base. 😎

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would think it would be a major priority...
Of the 100 priorities Monty has right now at NASNI, I'm betting a derelict boat on the beach isn't among them. Also guessing the installation doesn't have the kind of gear to remove it without a contracting action, which takes time - especially if there's fuel/HAZMAT involved. There may also be legal reasons. Someone may have asserted salvage rights. Hope it doesn't ruin your I-Bar experience too much.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thanks.

Unless it's a HAZMAT, safety risk, or risk to the base mission... I can only imagine it's not a priority for the base. @Brett327 has some "insider" ballpark knowledge and experiences in the shore installation management world, but from my experiences and knowledge, I can imagine there are higher priorities to remove a harmless boat.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Thanks.

When I was at miramar in 2010-2011, wed and fri nights were still the nights. No more strippers by then, but they were the fully open nights anyway.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
When I was at miramar in 2010-2011, wed and fri nights were still the nights. No more strippers by then, but they were the fully open nights anyway.
By the time I made my way back to Miramar in '12, there was an old lady (mamesan) in heavy makeup, who you'd regularly see at the O'Club. Fairly sure she was involved in the massage businesses outside the front gate...at least that was the rumor.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I don’t know if I’ve ever been to the NASNI beach without seeing some new boats washed up. They make for some cool pictures.

View attachment 41216
I had a buddy that had a small boat docked at MCRD SD. I asked him where he took it. He said just out in the bay. He said some other buds were trying to get him to take it out to Catalina for a weekend excursion.

Luckily, his ORM training kicked in, and he told them "fuck no," 😤

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Of the 100 priorities Monty has right now at NASNI, I'm betting a derelict boat on the beach isn't among them. Also guessing the installation doesn't have the kind of gear to remove it without a contracting action, which takes time - especially if there's fuel/HAZMAT involved. There may also be legal reasons. Someone may have asserted salvage rights. Hope it doesn't ruin your I-Bar experience too much.
You just big-brained something into being nearly insolvable, while six redneck chiefs could fix the problem overnight for a case of beer and a diamond-plate plasma cutout of an anchor.

Edit: I also can only read that as “derelicte.”

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You just big-brained something into being nearly insolvable, while six redneck chiefs could fix the problem overnight for a case of beer and a diamond-plate plasma cutout of an anchor.

That also reads like the start of a Navy Blue we would get on the CNO watch or a Navy Crimes article.