• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy North Island (NZY) Info

HuggyU2

None
Being on vacation with my portable super computer, I did some light reading on boats left to deteriorate in the surf. Looks like some toxic chemicals can be released as it breaks down.

Now, I don't know shit about boats like the rest of you, but this thing either has to get hauled off before it breaks up... or they let it break up. So why wait? It is slowly burying itself in the sand, and the removal job is getting more difficult as the months go by. But what do I know? Brett, you're right. I don't know what the CO's priorities are here, and I guess this doesn't make the cut.

Question: let's say I have an emergency in my private plane and land at NASNI... engine out, gear collapses on landing roll out. They haul my plane off the runway and over to the ramp. Now what? Does my plane sit on the NASNI ramp for 6-9 months, and slowly rot like some of the planes at my local airport?

No... when something similar happened at Beale, the owner was given a few days to get the plane's wings pulled, and the plane loaded on a flatbed and hauled off. What about the owner of this boat?

With the environmental scrutiny that all bases/stations are under, I'm surprised this wasn't fixed in a matter of days.

The whole thing is kind of comical to me. I think it's going to eventually become a headache for someone that doesn't put it on their Priority List.

By the way, those 2 kids were having a great time helping to bust the boat up... or at least bury it.

Attachments

• IMG_3310.jpeg
    IMG_3310.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Being on vacation with my portable super computer, I did some light reading on boats left to deteriorate in the surf. Looks like some toxic chemicals can be released as it breaks down.

Now, I don't know shit about boats like the rest of you, but this thing either has to get hauled off before it breaks up... or they let it break up. So why wait? It is slowly burying itself in the sand, and the removal job is getting more difficult as the months go by. But what do I know? Brett, you're right. I don't know what the CO's priorities are here, and I guess this doesn't make the cut.

Question: let's say I have an emergency in my private plane and land at NASNI... engine out, gear collapses on landing roll out. They haul my plane off the runway and over to the ramp. Now what? Does my plane sit on the NASNI ramp for 6-9 months, and slowly rot like some of the planes at my local airport?

No... when something similar happened at Beale, the owner was given a few days to get the plane's wings pulled, and the plane loaded on a flatbed and hauled off. What about the owner of this boat?

With the environmental scrutiny that all bases/stations are under, I'm surprised this wasn't fixed in a matter of days.

The whole thing is kind of comical to me. I think it's going to eventually become a headache for someone that doesn't put it on their Priority List.

By the way, those 2 kids were having a great time helping to bust the boat up... or at least bury it.
Huggy how about a review of the beach cottages at NASNI! Open to DOD GS? Please inquire!

HuggyU2

None
From what they told me: yes, GS can do it. Just show your CAC card. For details, call front desk at 619.435.0191, ext 4.
Ext 1 is reservations. $185/night.

There are some seriously easy and cheap things they could do to dramatically improve them, and things tend to be broken... but I love the location.

And I swear... my cottage is the VFR arrival point for every -60 at NASNI. That said... I love it!!

Attachments

• IMG_3328.jpeg
    IMG_3328.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 20

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now what? Does my plane sit on the NASNI ramp for 6-9 months
NTSB has jurisdiction, so the installation supports that agency. Once they're done, the owner/insurance company is responsible for removing it.

As for the boat, overall, you're making a lot of assumptions based on very little information. A lot of what ifs and other constraints could apply that we just don't know about.

HuggyU2

None
Yep, you're absolutely right, Brett. There's a ton I don't know. A friend is the Vice at Beale and I learn how much I don't know about his job on a regular basis.

This boat wreck is just kind of neat and interesting to me for some reason, and I wish I knew more about it.

Anyways... all of you who get to be stationed at NASNI... you've got a pretty cool deal. Great place.

I Bar tomorrow. If you're there and see an old guy in civies with his wife, it might be me. Say hi.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Now, I don't know shit about boats like the rest of you, but this thing either has to get hauled off before it breaks up...

I think the thing to understand is you're seeing one boat in a snap shot in time. There's always a boat there, it's just not the same boat. So they are salvaged, but it takes time and money.

And I swear... my cottage is the VFR arrival point for every -60 at NASNI. That said... I love it!!

It is! It's called the Surf Arrival (or departure). The wash rack is right next to the arrival point (your cottages) and it's a short cut to get back to the half of the Romeo pads via the Tower Transition when coming back from IB.

BarryD

None
Contributor
From what they told me: yes, GS can do it. Just show your CAC card. For details, call front desk at 619.435.0191, ext 4.
Ext 1 is reservations. $185/night.

There are some seriously easy and cheap things they could do to dramatically improve them, and things tend to be broken... but I love the location.

Too bad the Double Oaked is not included …

HuggyU2

None
Funny story...

My wife is having breakfast at the Navy Lodge lobby and so were a lot of VFA-27 aircrew that are TDY here. There was also a couple sitting near her. They were probably in their mid-70's, and my wife could overhear their conversation.

A couple of VFA LT's walked by and the lady says to her husband "Are all of those guys in flight suits THAT good looking? We need to grab one and bring him back to Audrey!"... their adult granddaughter, I'm guessing.

So if you know any single guys from the Royal Maces here, tell them to be careful.