• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy OCS packet not approved (admin reasons?)

exNavyOffRec

First of all, allow me to be clear. I did not get a "conduct disorder." Instead, "administrative reasons" as far as I have been told. I was only told by another source that if it had been because of my mishaps that it would have been "conduct disorder" but it isn't, which is why I am so baffled. Also, I am just going off of what I've been told as far as what the recruiters in other branches were able to access so for all I know, they could be looking at MEPS info. But this leads me to a few questions.

1. If I weren't approved by MEPS, wouldn't it be a medical DQ? From what I've been told by my Navy recruiter, it isn't a medical DQ or NPQ. Rather, an administrative one. I can't even begin to say what that means. I'm sure it can mean a lot of things...though strange given I obtained waivers, correct me if I'm wrong. To me, it seems more serious because apparently I'm not able to apply for other designators (which I could be PQ'd for).

2. Why am I being given such vague reasoning? This is what is so disheartening. Knowing that there are Officers in the Navy with reckless driving and DUIs on their record and I get the boot before the board even looks at me. I wish I knew what I did wrong.

3 (most important). Does anyone have any suggestions for a POC that might have some of these answers? Do I just continue to bug my recruiter? The Navy door is closed, seemingly for good. I have no idea why. Is there any way to find out details?

Sorry for the bombardment. :(

1. MEPS doesn't make the final call on officers, if a waiver is needed on the medical side, which for what you stated more than likely would be required, they would put "waiver recommended" or "waiver not recommended", they may put DQ on the front of that, but it is something to do with MEPS and MEPS will send a letter to you stating what you were not approved for.

2. Either the issue is such that the OR is not being told, or he just doesn't want to tell you, if medical said no you would have been pulled from the board.

3. You can try to write a request to the MEPS you went through addressed to "Commander MEPS XXXXXX" make sure you give your SSN and birthdate and contact info, letting you know what you were told and that no specific reason was given.

In the end the only thing you may get is an answer, rarely when a person is shot down for something that happens in medical are they able to overcome it.

pdt1530

Thank you, sir. That was very helpful. If me being able to overcome it is a possibility, I may try that. As for now, I am only looking for an answer or a reason why I was pulled (which seems like it can happen). I really appreciate the helpful information! I will take your advice and write to the MEPS commander.

Just FYI (in case you were curious), it was definitely under 9. Only a few times.

Thanks to everyone for the input! :) I plan on moving forward, even if the Navy option isn't there anymore.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
One thing I'll add: "conduct disorder" is an actual psychiatric diagnosis - not just something MEPS or the Navy invented. I know that people at MEPS can get flagged for psych evals if they have histories like yours - did you get such an evaluation? I would assume if you had you'd have said so here.

pdt1530

No, sir. I met with the doc who asked me about drug use, etc but everyone did. The only extra meeting I had was with the CO to try to get waivers, which he agreed to sign off on and recommend me.

exNavyOffRec

You could always file a FOIA request.

I wonder if the FOIA would apply in this case? The records are medical in nature and not the property of the individual, but of MEPS. I guess it couldn't hurt, but it could delay, since I doubt the local MEPS commander would make that call, it probably has to be from Commander USMEPCOM

I know the local MEPS commander will have to give a narrative of why a person was or was not cleared and that letter is kept in the persons MEPS file.

Renegade One

None
I wonder if the FOIA would apply in this case?
Unless there is some reasonable expectation of getting the NAV to change its mind…I'd recommend just letting it go. "Administrative Reasons" may have been a gentle gift in lieu of "Conduct Disorder".

You just don't want anyone to get the opportunity to reconsider and change the reason. Make sense?

RiseR 25

This seems odd to me as well. I would try and see what's going on. Unfortunately it looks like you're not going to make the next board. Honestly I don't think you're the only one experiencing these "Administrative" occurrences. While I haven't been NPQd or anything of that sort with N3M, all aspects of the process of the process seem to be taking 2-3 times as long.

Case in point, I followed up at my NORS earlier this week to see what was going on since I haven't gotten a MEPS date yet. I've been told I'm not the only one experiencing these hold-ups at MEPS, it's just about happening to a lot of Officer Recruits now.

I would try and keep following up at this point while you look into the other branches. Air National Guard units take applications as well, but it's a unit by unit basis. Good luck man, I hope you get something.

Renegade One

None
I followed up at my NORS earlier this week to see what was going on since I haven't gotten a MEPS date yet. I've been told I'm not the only one experiencing these hold-ups at MEPS, it's just about happening to a lot of Officer Recruits now.
It's currently a "buyer's market", I guess. My time was a "seller's market". Things change….hang in there.