• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy OCS questions..help please!

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I don't think that's an unrealistic question. I've known plenty of people that have had to leave active duty before getting to 20 years, either because of high year tenure (enlisted) or multiple FOS (officer). Yeah, it's the exception and not the norm, but it does happen.

To the OP: If you're at least an average performer who doesn't get in trouble and doesn't develop a medical issue, there shouldn't be anything other than your own desire to leave that keeps you from making the Navy a career.

I don't disagree with you but as you pointed out perfectly it's the exception and not the norm. The VERY RARE exception. If the person is completely useless they may experience it quickly. But most of the scenarios, in which this occurs, are typically 12-15 years away from the time someone gets in the military before they start getting forced out if it comes to that. By then that individual should realize it and be pushing harder to get to that next level so they no longer fall in that category. I never met anyone that fell into the category of being forced out. That being said I've seen the early retirement.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Sounds like you talked with a regular recruiter. They have absolutely no incentive for you to enter the military as an Officer, and as such will tell you that you're not competitive and to enlist first. I've seen your same story many times.

Either try the Omaha one again, or talk to the Petty Officer again and insist they give you the contact information of a legitimate Officer Recruiter.

I agree with this.

vtboyarc

thanks, I'll try and get in touch with someone else!
On a side note, could it be, possibly, that being an enlisted IS might be a better experience, hands on wise? Maybe being an Officer is more of a management role, and I'd be doing less intel work?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Just to add to this. . .

I had a 3.0 GPA, and I was picked up in September's board. A 3.2 is more than competitive. It's all how good you can make yourself look on paper.

Second, my OR was an E-7. She handled all of my application information up through submission, and helped to schedule officer interviews with me.

Lastly, there is a program called blue to green. I've met a few people who have gone that route . . . I'll be honest, I haven't met one that said they enjoyed life more in the Army (I'm coming from the Army...Green to Blue, I suppose?)

Don't settle for anything less than what you want. If you want to be an officer, and you want to fly, consider applying with the Army as well as the Navy.

Lark

To the OP FWIW:

I'm enlisted almost 6 months ago and ship to boot camp in a few months. I did this because I don't believe I will get picked up the first time I apply for OCS and I really wouldn't mind the enlisted side (at least to my opinion). I'm applying for April's boards with a 3.0 Political Sci degree and my OR told me that with my GPA I need to do exceptionally on the OAR which I am setting my minimum goal of 70 for (I got a 96 on ASVAB so I'm confident with a little prep work I can accomplish this). So if you have the option of waiting until the first boards come around, try and apply first for OCS because, as its said here many times, you'll never know until you try.

Good Luck.

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
To the OP FWIW:

I'm enlisted almost 6 months ago and ship to boot camp in a few months. I did this because I don't believe I will get picked up the first time I apply for OCS and I really wouldn't mind the enlisted side (at least to my opinion). I'm applying for April's boards with a 3.0 Political Sci degree and my OR told me that with my GPA I need to do exceptionally on the OAR which I am setting my minimum goal of 70 for (I got a 96 on ASVAB so I'm confident with a little prep work I can accomplish this). So if you have the option of waiting until the first boards come around, try and apply first for OCS because, as its said here many times, you'll never know until you try.

Good Luck.

Wow. That's almost impossible. ASVAB is out of 100 like a somewhat normal test. ASTB is based on a bell curve, with 50 being the mean score. I got a 66 and that was like 95th Percentile.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Wow. That's almost impossible. ASVAB is out of 100 like a somewhat normal test. ASTB is based on a bell curve, with 50 being the mean score. I got a 66 and that was like 95th Percentile.

Wasn't there a person recently that scored a 73 or something like that with 9's across the board. I thought I seen something like that otherwise it must have been a dream I had before I took the test! ;)

Lucy

Ya tbc, someone did have that score. Only 1 in 100 score a 70 or higher. Think it comes to like 1 in 1000 for above a 75. Since it is a percentile test and not a percentage test you basically have to get every question right to break a 70. If you do significantly better in math than average it will be reflected in your score since that is likely the most heavily averaged section. However doing average to slightly below in reading will drop your score more than doing above average will raise it. Also have to remember the asvab has more inputs than the astb so your score can vary more dependent on a single section. Just trying to give a base if how to approach it.
Good luck!