• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy or Marine option?

Studson

I have been accepted to receive a four year NROTC scholarship and am hoping to be placed into aviation after college. Ive heard mixed rumors about whether it is easier to be selected for aviation in the marines or for the navy. Anyone have any advice?

navy09

None
Marine options can get a flight guarantee, Navy options have to wait until senior year to select SNA/SNFO. What option are you now? Assuming you’re Navy, talk to your counselor and Marine Officer Instructor if you’re interested in switching. Just remember that regardless of service, you’re going to be an officer first, Pilot/NFO second.

phrogpilot73

I'd recommend a search on the boards, as this has been covered numerous times. I believe the last thread was fairly recent..

Because I'm feeling charitable, start here:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135864&highlight=navy+vs+marine
Agreed, lots of info on this subject. Without using the search (and only my memory), here's a post of mine that might explain what it's like to BE a Marine:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showpost.php?p=337739&postcount=8

KBayDog

...here's a post of mine that might explain what it's like to BE a Marine...

I thought it was all Dress Blues and Birthday Balls?

Studson: Congrats on the scholarship. You've got a great, great opportunity - make the most of it. At this stage in your professional development, don't worry about which service has better "odds" of getting you into aviation. Instead, focus on figuring out whether you belong in the Navy or the Marines. Your NROTC experience will enable you to interact with people from both services (pick their brains!), and your Mid cruises will give you a little exposure into both worlds. Once you figure out where you belong, you can start pursuing aviation (if that is still what you want to do after your exposure to some of the different communities in each Service). Good luck, and I encourage you to read through Airwarriors - a lot of information is contained on this site.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
...don't worry about which service has better "odds" of getting you into aviation.

Another thing to keep in mind is that whatever the "odds" are today, they will more than likely be very different 4 years from now. Just ask the '04 guys on how easy it was to make it to Primary compared to other recent groups going through Schools Command.

pghdvldog

pilot
Studson,

First and foremost, congrats on the scholarship. As to the option question, Cortramid (your cruise after your 4/C year) will be the deciding factor. You get a week of each community (subs, surface, aviation, and Marine Corps). I started out as a Navy option and ended up switching my 3/C year. Let me put one thing out there. Don't switch to Marine option with only aviation in mind. You're a Marine first.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Studson,

First and foremost, congrats on the scholarship. As to the option question, Cortramid (your cruise after your 4/C year) will be the deciding factor. You get a week of each community (subs, surface, aviation, and Marine Corps). I started out as a Navy option and ended up switching my 3/C year. Let me put one thing out there. Don't switch to Marine option with only aviation in mind. You're a Marine first.

How's that any different than joining the Navy with aviation in mind?

Studson

Thanks for all youre guys' advice. Of corse i know joining the Navy or Marines does not gurantee that i will be a pilot, and i realize that should not be all that i have in mind. I want to serve my country. I am proud to have been offered the scholarship and the idea of being an officer in the Navy/Marines is awesome. At the same time, I have wanted to fly since day one. It is a big goal of mine. Ill work hard and see what happens.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
How's that any different than joining the Navy with aviation in mind?

Please, don't wave red meat in front of the pit bulls....(or bulldogs...whatever)...you're just antagonizing them.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Choose the service that you REALLY want to be a part of.....NOT BECAUSE YOU THINK IT WILL GET YOU A PILOT SLOT!!! Sure you can get a guarantee for the Marine flight program, but in my experience the majority of the mids who chose Marine option for this reason ended up dropping, or attriting from OCS. If you really do want to be a Marine, by all means go for it, but in terms of getting SNA/SNFO going Marine option to get there is not the "easy route" at the end of the day (or at the end of your college career)....though it may initially appear that way...

Crowbar

None
Choose the service that you REALLY want to be a part of.....NOT BECAUSE YOU THINK IT WILL GET YOU A PILOT SLOT!!!

^What he said. If you could only go around the country with a mallet and pound that into people's heads, everybody would be a lot better off.

For the OP, don't you have to specify which option you're applying for, and don't you know what you'll be going to college as initially when you get the scholarship?

Studson

For the OP, don't you have to specify which option you're applying for, and don't you know what you'll be going to college as initially when you get the scholarship?

Yea in the application you have a choice. I chose Navy. So I will stick with it. This is all knew to me and Im takin info in as I go. I wasnt aware what the biggest differences were between the Navy and Marine option, but Im starting to get an idea.