• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Pilot

takedown777

I am a high school Junior and i am considering joining the Navy and i want to be a pilot. I am considering the NROTC but i was wondering who i would need to talk to get more information about that. any help would be appreciated. thanks

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
The website is a good start. Another thing you might try after checking out the website is calling the NROTC units at the schools you're applying to. They can send you a lot more detailed information. As always you can ask questions on here. A lot of the guys here all did the same thing you're looking at doing. We're always glad to help.

takedown777

thanks. and if you happen to know what is the height requirement for a navy pilot? i have asked several people and looked at websites but i get different answers? and i have posted on a different forum but i got like twelve replies with different heights. thanks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
thanks. and if you happen to know what is the height requirement for a navy pilot? i have asked several people and looked at websites but i get different answers? and i have posted on a different forum but i got like twelve replies with different heights. thanks.

FOR MALE SNA:
1. Thumb-tip Reach FR: 29.5 inches or greater
2. Buttock Knee Length: greater than 22 inches, but less than 26.5 inches
3. Sitting Height: greater than 34 inches, but less than 38.8 inches
FOR FEMALE SNA:
1. Thumb-tip Reach FR: 29.5 inches or greater
2. Buttock Knee Length: greater than 22 inches, but less than 26.5 inches
3. Sitting Height: greater than 33.5 inches, but less than 38.8 inches
FOR SNFO (MALE OR FEMALE):
1. Thumb-tip Reach FR: 27.5 inches or greater
2. Buttock Knee Length: 20.5 inches or greater
3. Sitting Height: 32 inches or greater
The following guidelines give directions as far as height concerns. Generally an applicant between 66" and 74" will be compatible for all pipelines.

FOR SNA:
1. IF 64 INCHES OR GREATER, BUT LESS THAN 76 INCHES:

- MOST LIKELY ANTHROPOMETRICALLY COMPATIBLE WITH AT LEAST TWO PIPELINES (SOMETIMES THREE)

2. IF GREATER THAN 76 INCHES, BUT LESS THAN 78 INCHES:

- MOST LIKELY ANTHROPOMETRICALLY COMPATIBLE WITH ONLY ONE PIPELINE (NORMALLY PROPS), BUT POSSIBLY TWO PIPELINES (DEPENDS ON SITTING HT).

3. IF LESS THAN 64 INCHES:
• SAFE ANTHROPOMETRICS COMPATIBILITY WITH ANY PIPELINE IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY!

• INDIVIDUAL IN QUESTION SHOULD BE SENT TO NOMI FOR OFFICIAL ANTHROPOMETRIC MEASUREMENT AND EVALUATION BY NASC FLIGHT PHYSIOLOGIST
FOR SNFO:
1. IF BETWEEN 64 INCHES AND 78 INCHES:

- MOST LIKELY ANTHROPOMETRICALLY COMPATIBLE WITH TWO PIPELINES (PROP & JET), BUT POSSIBLE AIRCRAFT RESTRICTIONS SUCH AS THE EA-6B FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH SITTING HEIGHTS GREATER THAN 37.4 INCHES.

2. IF BETWEEN 60 INCHES AND 64 INCHES:
MOST LIKELY ANTHROPOMETRICALLY COMPATIBLE WITH TWO PIPELINES (PROP & JET), BUT POSSIBLE AIRCRAFT RESTRICTIONS SUCH AS THE T-2, F/A-18, AND EA-6B FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH FUNCTIONAL REACHES LESS THAN 27.5 INCHES (T-REX ARMS).
Finally weight limits prohibit any training for applicants over 235 lbs. This is due to the safety concerns of ejection seats. No candidate will be allowed to enter training who is over 235 lbs.

Brett

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I must have weird proportions. Had my flight physical in PCola on Thursday and I meet all the mins for SNA (female) yet I am less than 64" tall. Doesn't matter anyway as my eyesight makes me an NFO candidate only.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Boy, am I happy I never contracted "t-rex arms" syndrom. Sounds almost as bad as "Dachshund leg syndrom". :propeller

There was a guy in my RAG class with T-Rex arms and a big head and ass. We dubbed him...Fetus.
7_WEEK_FETUS.jpg

Brett

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
As far as the weight restriction goes.. is that an automatic DNQ.. I JUST found out about my flight slot (i'm one of the guys who put SWO first and got NFO) I'm about 10 lbs over that right now.. I guess what I am asking is: if you are a few lbs over that during your physical, do they let you cut that weight and continue?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As far as the weight restriction goes.. is that an automatic DNQ.. I JUST found out about my flight slot (i'm one of the guys who put SWO first and got NFO) I'm about 10 lbs over that right now.. I guess what I am asking is: if you are a few lbs over that during your physical, do they let you cut that weight and continue?

The short answer is "I don't know," but I would guess that they may give you a little bit of time to come down. Long term, though, the new CNATRA instruction says no more than 235 (I think it is...whatever the max ejection seat weight is) is the rule for all CNATRA aviators (IPs too).