• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Pilots Test New Flight Device

Brooklyn

Navy News | SN Casandra Newell | October 20, 2006

Virginia Beach, VA. - Strike Fighter Wing Atlantic began testing a new flight simulation device Oct. 5 at Naval Air Station Oceana.

The new technology, known as Reduced Oxygen Breathing Device (ROBD), will enable pilots to experience the physical effects of high altitudes in a safe environment.

The ROBD simulated cockpit appears similar to a video game where pilots control a virtual flight while communicating with mock air traffic controllers as they would in an actual flight. The training the pilots underwent in the ROBD simulator allowed them to experience the effects of hypoxia in an environment similar to an actual airplane.

“A basic definition [of hypoxia] is a decrease of oxygen delivered to the brain,” said Lt. Ron Schoonover, an aerospace physiologist at Strike Fighter Wing, Atlantic. “Once the oxygen flow decreases to the tissues, the brain functions slow down.”

While in the simulator, the pilots undergoing their annual training receive a decrease in oxygen without warning. The pilots must describe what they are doing before treating their hypoxia with oxygen.

“It’s important to recognize the signs and symptoms of your own personal hypoxia when you’re flying an aircraft, because you don’t know when it is going to occur,” Schoonover explained.

Unlike the traditional low pressure hypobaric chamber training which not only warns students when they will experience hypoxia, it employs them in less realistic activities, such as playing “patty cake.”

The traditional pressure chamber also exposes the students’ bodies to various levels of gas compression and depression that is avoided in the ROBD. Another feature of the ROBD that improves upon its process is the pulse monitor attached to the students’ fingers to further examine the effects of altitude and hypoxia.

Trainees at Strike Fighter Wing Atlantic reported similar responses to the ROBD as have traditionally been mentioned by trainees in the pressure chamber.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds like a great idea. Recognition of the earliest symptoms of hypoxia can save lives.

I lost two squadronmates to a hypoxia related mishap.

sniksnak

Flew Hornets when the Navy still did that
pilot
Sounds like a great idea. Recognition of the earliest symptoms of hypoxia can save lives.

I lost two squadronmates to a hypoxia related mishap.

i agree, it is a great idea. we got to do it over the summer here at k-rock. it's a lot more realistic to be actually flying the (simulator) aircraft while quickly getting hypoxic, than just sitting in a chamber playing pattycake, waiting for the O2 to diminish.

they had us scheduled every 15 minutes or so ... part of that was time to pre-brief the event, the actual flying part and feeling hypoxia set in only took a matter of a couple minutes. pretty serious stuff, glad they've found a better way to introduce the effects to us and teach us to respond effectively.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Good deal! I wonder if this will make it's way into the civilian sector? I work for a company which owns a fleet of Lear 25's and Falcon 20's and I doubt our pilots have had any training on hypoxia. Had this been available in the late 90's then the crash which killed golfer Payne Stewart could have been avoided.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, they've been using this at NAS Lemoore for a little bit now. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good deal! I wonder if this will make it's way into the civilian sector? I work for a company which owns a fleet of Lear 25's and Falcon 20's and I doubt our pilots have had any training on hypoxia. Had this been available in the late 90's then the crash which killed golfer Payne Stewart could have been avoided.

Didn't they conclude that was due to rapid decompression and not a gradual onset of hypoxia?

Brett

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot

I could have sworn that a course in high alt ops was required for folks who operate in class A. Maybe I have that confused with somthing else.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I could have sworn that a course in high alt ops was required for folks who operate in class A. Maybe I have that confused with somthing else.
Civilian world - it's an hour lecture followed by a "high dive" in the sim. Put the sim at altitude, the instructor pushes a button which causes a rushing noise and the cabin altitimeter to go nuts, the PNF calls "Rapid Decompression!", both guys put on their O2 masks and the PF starts an emergency decent. There is no chamber and no hypoxia demonstration.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Civilian world - it's an hour lecture followed by a "high dive" in the sim. Put the sim at altitude, the instructor pushes a button which causes a rushing noise and the cabin altitimeter to go nuts, the PNF calls "Rapid Decompression!", both guys put on their O2 masks and the PF starts an emergency decent. There is no chamber and no hypoxia demonstration.

Which is what I meant, thank you.

Only two of our pilots are prior military, so the rest have never been through the chamber. They've been through the class at Flight Safety, but there is still no substitute for experiencing hypoxia first hand.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Which is what I meant, thank you.

Only two of our pilots are prior military, so the rest have never been through the chamber. They've been through the class at Flight Safety, but there is still no substitute for experiencing hypoxia first hand.

Plus, it's fun :)

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
They have actually had the device in the sim for a couple months now. I used it in a baby hornet sim in July. Good training. After a couple runs, we would have a comp. to see who get get their pulse ox the lowest and still fly the sim.

nugget81

pilot
I wonder if this will make it's way into the civilian sector?

I've seen something similar done at a civilian altitude chamber, but on a much more simplistic scale. An instrument flight training device (no visual) was brought into the chamber and instructions given to the pilot over the chamber's intercom system. The pilot started making errors almost right away after removing O2.

Also, civilians have the opportunity to do chamber flights, but it seems that many do not know of the opportunities available. I've done three hypoxia demonstration flights (one at Arizona State Polytechnic and a couple at the University of North Dakota) and one rapid decompression flight (again at UND). Definitely a great learning opportunity for any pilot.

The device at Oceana sounds like a real step forward in hypoxia training. Hopefully it becomes the new standard.