• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Says Goodbye to Huey

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The last two Navy Huey's flew their final flight on 3 APR 2009 at Fallon.

One is destined for gate guard duty the other being shipped to one of the "A" schools at NAS P'cola.

End of an era.

158264hh1hhueyajosborne.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To be replaced by 60's, I presume?

exhelodrvr

pilot
A piece of history; that's for sure!! They were in the process of transitioning HT-18 to the 57C when I went through Whiting, and I was lucky to be one of the last students to get to fly the H-1 before the transition was complete. They probably had close to 90 of them there (mostly Ds, there may have been some Bs), but due to a shortage of maintenance staff (they had just switched to contract maintenance) it was fairly common to only have 2 up.

HuggyU2

None
I may have the distinction of being the last USAF person to fly on it. I did a 1 hour sortie on 27 April in Buno 158272. It was a great flight. I sure wish I knew how to fly helos!

USAdefender

GO STATE!!!
Uh-1n

I wasn't able to find this anywhere else. Does the Navy still fly the huey? I know it at one time was used for search and rescue. I remember seeing them while growing up in Meridian. I'm asking because it's what I'd love to fly, but I'd reather be Navy than Marine. (No offense to any marines.)

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I wasn't able to find this anywhere else. Does the Navy still fly the huey? I know it at one time was used for search and rescue. I remember seeing them while growing up in Meridian. I'm asking because it's what I'd love to fly, but I'd reather be Navy than Marine. (No offense to any marines.)

I try not to be a dick on here to anyone. But you'll do better on here if you actually read the threads that you post in.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Warning: Merged Thread ahead

I try not to be a dick on here to anyone. But you'll do better on here if you actually read the threads that you post in.

Thread was merged by Mod action so it's not as stupid as it seems....

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Still, it was a recent thread. Beatings for failure to search. No mercy!

For the guy who was asking about Hueys in the Navy and got shot in the face: it's been many moons since you could make a career of flying the mighty UH-1 in the Navy, anyway. They were assigned to the odds-and-ends units in the Navy, VXE-6 in Antarctica, for example. I think HC-16 (disbanded in the '90's and reformed as NASP SARDET) was the last squadron to fly them, and the last Navy "Huey RAG". Since then, the station SAR units that flew them were shore jobs.

Our brothers in green will still be flying them for a while, though.

Nice Ted Carlson pic of one of the Longhorn Hueys

sundown_huey.jpg

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Thanks for the great pics, I used to be a plane captain on the stab-bar Hueys. I don't care what people say, I think they are gorgeous aircraft.

I like how the Navy birds didn't have the bigger T/R Driveshaft put in, so no strakes along the tail boom and presumably no sparcap cracks.