• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Says Goodbye to Huey

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I was there, the RAG OPSO's first gig after winging was flying Herks with VXE-6. Had some insane stories to tell about flying there - four or five low passes and touch-and-goes every landing on the ice, just trying to make sure it wouldn't collapse under them - and how weird it was living at McMurdo.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
When I was initially a '60 2nd crewman, I was lucky enough to deploy with a couple of guys who were raised in the Huey community (Lamoore and Fallon). Some of the stories those guys used to tell us about mountain rescues were amazing. The Huey was an awesome aircraft and served well...I wish that I could have done a tour there before she was gone.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Seriously, that would have been sweet duty. What I'm sure it lacked in QOL, it would have made up for with the fact that you were in ANTARCTICA. That must have been some pretty sick flying.

One of our LDOs flew Hueys for VXE-6 in Antartica. Some good stories.

MasterBates

My 2nd OIC also flew Hueys in Antartica.. VXE to HSL Hawaii (H-2s I think) to HSL Mayport (60Bs)

He was a NAVCAD so he had a bit more "Free time" in his career path than most guys.

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
Dumb/curious question, what does it say on the bottom of the aircraft? All I can read is abandon on one side, does it say something on the other?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dumb/curious question, what does it say on the bottom of the aircraft? All I can read is abandon on one side, does it say something on the other?

k8%20Fly-by%209%20Jun.JPG

Pags

N/A
pilot

Helpful reminder from the SAR bird to dumb jet guys who just went from being "rulers of their domain" to "scared and wet".

bhard

Hueys

Hey fellas, I just had to jump in on this discussion since I was flying Hueys at Fallon for the last 4 years. I'm the pilot in the right seat of the Ted Carlson pic in this thread.

ChuckMK23, where did you fly 46's? I was in HC-11 for my first tour.

Kow aka Spanky, when did you fly with Moxey? He left the unit just before I got there, but still showed up to some social functions so I knew him. Are you in Air Sta SF? I'm up in Humboldt.

And, yes, the bottom of the helo is a reminder to wet, disoriented jet guys- "Abandon Chute" We wanted to change it to "Abandon Suit" for when we flew over the girls at Lake Lahonton, but the Skipper wouldn't go for it.

Malo83

Keep the Faith
Busted some knuckles on those birds while stationed in Lemoore 80-83, loved going on those check flights, End of an Era :icon_zbee

Never_Fits

Wannabe Helo Bubba
Alright, i know this is a thread about the huey, but the link to the longhorns got me. how do you get that job? im assuming its gonna be a first shore tour thing or a later in the career gig, but it looks sweet. any help?

MasterBates

It's a shore tour gig..

Fallon is considered "overseas/remote" duty so if you have family members on EFM, you are fooked.

(I tried to go there for my shore tour, ended up getting HT Instructor due to EFM, and then transitioned to E-2s before I started the HITU)