• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy "Shooters"

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm not a Carrier guy -- I have to assume the Shooters and Air Dept guys are ranked against the Nukes. How does that fall out? Hard breakouts against other aviators, with soft breaks against the Reactor Dept guys?
On the LHD we were soft ranked amonst all the LTs to include all the SWOs, LDOs, etc. The hard break out could only amongst our designators, so it was usually out of 3 or 4. There was also usually only one or two URL SWO LTs on board as well since the second tour SWO DIVOs wouldn't make O-3 until right before they left.

As ltedge has indicated, the Air Boss usually had a good amount of pull to get the Aviators top billing due to responsibility and seniority.

NUFO06

None
The guys coming off the boat have told me that ANAV/Shooters have the inside track for the EPs. The timing for NFOs has shifted back to where you will have a paper from the boat before your in-zone 0-4 board. The several guys I have talked to about the boat all left the boat as LTs but put on 0-4 months later.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The guys coming off the boat have told me that ANAV/Shooters have the inside track for the EPs. The timing for NFOs has shifted back to where you will have a paper from the boat before your in-zone 0-4 board. The several guys I have talked to about the boat all left the boat as LTs but put on 0-4 months later.
Whether or not you get an EP on the boat will depend more on your career timing as others have said. NFO timing may be better due to shorter flight school time.

I got to the boat late and found out my IZ look results a few days before checking in. If I had made O-4 I don't know how I would've broken out as an O-4 since my competition would have been a few other principal assistants (DCA, MPA), the NAV, the First LT, METOC, and the other O-4 aviators. My buddy who left as an O-4 and the handler lost out to SWOs who were on their DH tours.

As a LT I did pretty well as a relatively new guy. I think I made it close to the top of the LT heap in the soft break out. For the hard break out, there were three 1310 LTs all of whom checked in within three months of each other so that was a horse race.