• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy sued again over sonar...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I'm not saying we should stop training, just putting some perspective out there. As for buoys, well, you can gradually turn them on in that you have to ping the sludge out of them, but I don't think that's what they meant.

The other side to this whole argument is how much the Navy has done. There are a slew of ROE for dealing w/ marine mammals while training, which I guess they choose not to acknowledge.
I don't think we're talking about buoys or even your standard issue ship's sonar. There is a particular type of LF sonar gear that the suit is aimed at.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, that's what you get if you bother to read the actual link...facts. That makes more sense if it's LF. But to be honest, I really wasn't motivated enough to follow the link.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't think we're talking about buoys or even your standard issue ship's sonar. There is a particular type of LF sonar gear that the suit is aimed at.

Brett
This suit is against MF. Links: News Article. NRDC.

NRDC.... The case follows a successful lawsuit by NRDC and other groups, settled two years ago, that blocked the global deployment of the Navy's new low-frequency active sonar system (LFA), and restricted its use for testing and training to a limited area of the north-western Pacific Ocean. Today's lawsuit, however, targets training with mid-frequency sonar, the principal system used aboard U.S. naval vessels to locate submarines and underwater objects.

The actual filing.

Here is a link about LF.

This primarily impacts surface ships. Of note, there are very specific Marine Mammal Mitigations procedures that are taken into effect for any exercises, in addition to a software program to evaluate impacts. For actual on site, everything from lookouts, to specific equipment to listen for marine mammal activity is used.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Whale Steak
4 portions
4 slices of whalemeat @ 150 - 180 g
Salt and pepper, preferably freshly ground
4 onion rings
2 dessert spoonfulls of finely diced green or red peppers
1 dessert spoonful of finely diced parsley
1 dessert spoonful of finely diced gherkins

Carve the meat into slices of about 1.5 to 2 cm thick, beat them with your hands and press them into shape. Preheat the frying pan and melt some butter in it. Brown the butter before adding the meat. Fry the steaks on both sides. Whale meat should be fried for about 4-5 minutes on each side. The steaks taste best when they are medium rare, but they should be warmed right through and not eaten raw. Serve the steaks on a plate, place an onion ring on each of them and fill it with peppers, parsley and gherkins. Potato scollops taste good together with the steaks. Serve with a bowl of good, crisp lettuce and salad.

whalemeat.jpg

Wedge

As someone who studied Environmental Science, I believe that issues like these are very important. I always tell people in my field of study that the people I work with in the military are not as closed minded as they might think. And, that being said, I still want to believe that people here care for what is important. Conserving the environment in my book is one of the most important responsablities that we have. I also believe from all that I learned in that field is that almost anything can be mitigated.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As someone who studied Environmental Science, I believe that issues like these are very important. I always tell people in my field of study that the people I work with in the military are not as closed minded as they might think. And, that being said, I still want to believe that people here care for what is important. Conserving the environment in my book is one of the most important responsablities that we have. I also believe from all that I learned in that field is that almost anything can be mitigated.

While a balance must be maintained, if it will significantly hamper our warfighting capability, aka our survival, well, then tough.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
While a balance must be maintained, if it will significantly hamper our warfighting capability, aka our survival, well, then tough.
None of those rules apply to real world/warfighting, only exercise and training operations.

A lot of it deals with the time duration, and the amount of energy you put into the water. You start getting multiple platforms in a major exercise, and you have to develop a plan to implement active transmissions (type, durations) per platform, while balancing training requirements across multiple platforms. Can be quite interesting, I don't envy the DESRON bubbas with that.

And personally, I don't want to see flipper ending up beached on shore. I kind of wonder, historically, whether hedgehogs and all the other ordnance thrown in the water during WWII had more of an impact, no? More sides to this puzzle, what about all the other companies polluting the seas, or the drift nets used by the fishing industry? Unfortunately, the Navy doesn't really have a lobbyist group do we? :)

FlyingBeagle

pilot
First its not the whales fault they're being killed or that they're being defended by these people. I think conservatives should have just as much an intererest in this issue as the liberals. Of course we shouldn't risk our warfighting ability, but if there is something we can do to help, then we should try. Perhaps a compromise could be reached. I wonder if the EOD guys who train our dolphins could work their magic on whales. They could be our powerful, underwater allies. . . :)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Coming back from my first deployment, we had to pull into the San Diego sub pens to get fuel before pulling into 32nd street. When the fueling was complete, and the shoes sounded their "Man your station" announcement, I was on the flight deck watching the boats go by NASNI in the channel. Then this Zodiac comes over to a buoy just off our beam which basically marked the channel and where we were moored. All of a sudden a Mark V (or is it MK VI?) Sea Lion jumps out of the water and into the Zodiac. They pat his head and then take off. Pretty cool to see.

This was as OIF was winding down, so I'm assuming the seal was conducting anti-personnel runs. Pretty neat.

Grant

Whos to say that the whales dont like the sonar? For all we know, they might love it. :icon_smil

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whos to say that the whales dont like the sonar? For all we know, they might love it. :icon_smil
Yeah, that gor the rest of the critters as well. When I was up in AK, all those carriboo who are supposedly averse to oil drilling operations were rubbing up against the pipelines to get warm. I'll bet if you asked them, they would be in favor of more drilling in ANWR.:D

Brett

michaels601

Simba Barracuda.
WTF were you doing watching smallville???

woah, woah, see, i don't check the board for a few days and i miss the chance to defend myself. i've seen probably two episodes of smallville in my life. that time was a fluke. i don't even know who most of the characters were, except for the ones that were in the comics.

as far as being an ex-comic book geek, well, i don't have much defense for that... never dressed up or went to conventions or anything like that, though...

by the way, like the picture of the meat. don't think i've ever tried a whale or dolphin steak. might have to change that as soon as possible. ostrich was pretty good, though.