• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Tests High-Powered Electromagnetic Railgun

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Muzzle velocity of Mach 5... awesome. Talked to one of the 10-lbs heads working on this thing a couple few years back. Said that the projectile will have an estimate on-target velocity of somewhere around Mach 4.5-4.9.

I also got to hold a mock up of one of the projectiles. Guy said they will eventually experiment with a round that is essentially a jar of ball bearings, to be used mostly against unarmored convoy type targets.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
One of my professors was using a NASA grant to experiment in railgun technology. All I can say is this thing is SWEET. And a projectile at M4.5 is gonna FVCK shit up!

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
One of my professors was using a NASA grant to experiment in railgun technology. All I can say is this thing is SWEET. And a projectile at M4.5 is gonna FVCK shit up!

Even with no warhead. One of the original designs for the projectile was basically a solid metal cone with retractable fins for stabilization.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Even with no warhead. One of the original designs for the projectile was basically a solid metal cone with retractable fins for stabilization.

Exactly. No ordinance required. A simple metal projectile has an extraordinary amount of kinetic energy at that speed.

KE = 0.5 * m V^2

...'nuff said.:D

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I can see it now, rail gun battleships! A couple of my friends did a capstone on rail guns where they worked with guys down in Dahlgren. Very complicated but very awesome. That's a lot of power to be sucked from the ship for each firing though.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I can see it now, rail gun battleships! A couple of my friends did a capstone on rail guns where they worked with guys down in Dahlgren. Very complicated but very awesome. That's a lot of power to be sucked from the ship for each firing though.

Interestingly enough, the 10-lbs heads are researching a similar system to replace steam catapults...

MasterBates

The "rail-a-pult" would be easier on airframes.

And the ball bearings sounds like grapeshot.

grapeshot.jpg

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I heard about the catapults, too. It seems the way things are going with the likes of the DDX and the all electric fleets. Pretty cool systems they're developing.

red_ryder

None
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. Wouldn't be as neat if you lit up sensors for miles, or if it ripped off everyone's belt buckle and wings and put them through the bulkhead.