• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Tests High-Powered Electromagnetic Railgun

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. Wouldn't be as neat if you lit up sensors for miles, or if it ripped off everyone's belt buckle and wings and put them through the bulkhead.

uh......that's not really the way it works..... but it would be sweet if it could do that.:icon_tong

red_ryder

None
Oh, I'm sure it doesn't. But it's got to be a huge field to throw something at mach 5, right?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I heard about the catapults, too. It seems the way things are going with the likes of the DDX and the all electric fleets. Pretty cool systems they're developing.

Had a Captain in the EDO offices come down to give a briefing to the unit. He talked about the program for the DDG-1000 Zumwalt-Class. It was pretty neat.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
just curious.....speaking of huge power requirements...did anyone ever catch the Philadelphia Experiment?? Maybe I should ask that on the Final Countdown thread.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
uh......that's not really the way it works..... but it would be sweet if it could do that.:icon_tong

Even so, the thing needs to be shielded like a mo-fo. Anything discharging that much energy is going to muck up electrical equipment around it.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Had a Captain in the EDO offices come down to give a briefing to the unit. He talked about the program for the DDG-1000 Zumwalt-Class. It was pretty neat.

Yeah, my favorite part is how power can be transfered from different parts of the ship to fulfill any needs. Very clever.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Apparently they have also been having a whopper of a time trying to get the hull to work as advertised. The introduction of the stealthy design has meant a radical rethinking of hull design and it causes center of gravity issues, especially in large swells.