• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocjams

Aside from the Joint Strike Fighter, what are the other aircraft of the future that the new aviators can expect to see in the fleet in years to come? I've read a few things about the EA-18, but I don't know much about it. Are there any other plans for eliminating other platforms, just as they did with the F-14 and S-3? I know this is an ever-changing topic in Naval Aviation, but I was just curious.

ocjams

great link! thanks

what'dya think of that X-45? Are we looking at unemployment?

Probably not. I mean...look at the early NASA tests where they sent chimps up into space. Eventually, they realized the importance of having a human at the controls of a multi-billion dollar operation. Do you think that the Navy trusts a multi-million dollar aircraft to some computer nerd that likes to play with radio controlled toys, or do you think they'll continue to train pilots for manned flight missions for the next few decades? Wouldn't it suck to lose your job to an old nintendo and spare VCR parts that they salvaged from a garage sale? Just a joke!!

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
I you get helos there's a really good chance you get to fly this. MH-60S Armed Helo, IR/Laser targeting, two M230 or GAU-17 forward, two 50cal aft and eight Hellfire missles or two LOGIR pods (Inertial/IR guided fire&forget "Zuni" 2.75in rocket pod).

Attachments

• post.jpg
    post.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 304

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys trying to steal my job?
Looks like a sweet ride
Regular 2.75" rockets as well as the laser rockets?
ASW as well?
Oh and someday we will ge tthe Zulu Cobra-fully aerobatic 16 hellfires, 2 sidewinders and the 20mm.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
skidkid said:
You guys trying to steal my job?
Looks like a sweet ride
Regular 2.75" rockets as well as the laser rockets?

The 2.75" are guided!!! Don't worry, you guys have the requirement out already so you'll get it. It's still in development, the first air launch is in a few months.

skidkid said:
Oh and someday we will ge tthe Zulu Cobra-fully aerobatic 16 hellfires, 2 sidewinders and the 20mm.

Ok, ok!! I'll go in a 1 mile trail behind you...

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Let's no forget the MH-60R coming on late this year to the west coast. Looks to be a very capable aircraft!

zuggerat

Cyclic said:
I you get helos there's a really good chance you get to fly this. MH-60S Armed Helo, IR/Laser targeting, two M230 or GAU-17 forward, two 50cal aft and eight Hellfire missles or two LOGIR pods (Inertial/IR guided fire&forget "Zuni" 2.75in rocket pod).

u take it off any sweet jumps?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The problem is that the Sierra doesn't need a four pack and guns, it needs some damn gas! And no, skidkid, it doesn't do ASW. They're saving that for the large fat cow, aka the Romeo. The thing is so damn heavy they're reevaluating the torque limits. I know they've got some more work to go on it, so hopefully it'll get cleaned up a bit more.

However, that Sierra does look awesome.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
gatordev said:
The problem is that the Sierra doesn't need a four pack and guns, it needs some damn gas!
However, that Sierra does look awesome.
We already have scheduled delivery for two 200gal internal aux tanks, total gas is about 3,700lbs.....oh plus a A/A refueling probe. he he he!

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
Cyclic said:
.....oh plus a A/A refueling probe.

A/A refueling probe?? Which aircraft are you going to be tanking from? Another Helo maybe? I cant picture a Helo trying to pull up behind a Rhino………Though I bet it would be a pretty funny sight.

WAIT FOR MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE…………….. :D

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lots of deabte on teh laser guided 2.75" or precision kill weapon system. I ma of the school of thought that if you spend that money on giving us enough (read a lot) of rocekts to train with I will be jsut as accurate and have a more reliable system i.e. dust wont effect me and if I miss it was just a cheap unguided rocket anyway and the next one will hit. We'll see I think some in the inventory would be nice but more interested in a variable dispersing flechette rocket (2200 eight penny nails going downrange for the uninitated) that would probably have some counter-small craft apps for the 60 guys as well

Sandwichwarrior

Hauling ass so others don't have to.
gatordev said:
...it doesn't do ASW. They're saving that for the large fat cow, aka the Romeo. The thing is so damn heavy they're reevaluating the torque limits.

I'm a 60B SO and while i'm looking forward to our new toys i don't understand is how the romeo is so much heavier, Sonar Dome added = 800 lbs, MAD reel removed = - 300 lbs

800 - 300 = 500 lbs so why is the Romeo 1500+ pounds heavier

as far as i know there haven't been any other major additions, and one would think that the new fiberoptic avionics would be lighter than thier 1980s counterparts.

I apologize for the threadjack

Kycntryboy

pilot
ocjams said:
great link! thanks

what'dya think of that X-45? Are we looking at unemployment?

Probably not. I mean...look at the early NASA tests where they sent chimps up into space. Eventually, they realized the importance of having a human at the controls of a multi-billion dollar operation. Do you think that the Navy trusts a multi-million dollar aircraft to some computer nerd that likes to play with radio controlled toys, or do you think they'll continue to train pilots for manned flight missions for the next few decades? Wouldn't it suck to lose your job to an old nintendo and spare VCR parts that they salvaged from a garage sale? Just a joke!!

Thats why I make sure that I am up to date and fully qualified playing PS2/XBOX/GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.