• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Pap said:
A/A refueling probe?? Which aircraft are you going to be tanking from? Another Helo maybe? I cant picture a Helo trying to pull up behind a Rhino………Though I bet it would be a pretty funny sight.

WAIT FOR MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE…………….. :D

If a 53 is fast enough to tank, I'm sure a 60 could too, though maybe only behind a real tanker like a KC-130.

Back to the original post, the MV-22B will be joining the fleet very soon for the Marines.

...let the controversy swirl anew...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Cyclic said:
We already have scheduled delivery for two 200gal internal aux tanks, total gas is about 3,700lbs.....oh plus a A/A refueling probe. he he he!

That's good to hear. I know the community has been waiting for them.

@Sandwich: I don't know. I think there's some other gear in there that's not helping, but I don't really know the details. I think part of the weight is coming from the assumption that at least one four-pack will be installed and maybe another (M299=100lbs + (4 x 99lbs) x2). Plus a GAU. But that's just a guess.

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
gatordev said:
That's good to hear. I know the community has been waiting for them.

@Sandwich: I don't know. I think there's some other gear in there that's not helping, but I don't really know the details. I think part of the weight is coming from the assumption that at least one four-pack will be installed and maybe another (M299=100lbs + (4 x 99lbs) x2). Plus a GAU. But that's just a guess.
The "heavy" configuration is ASW at max gross weight 22.5K, all upgraded systems, radar, ISD, ALFS etc are heavier. Besides, it only carries one M299 pod for ASuW.

And yes, the extra tanks and probe are a big relief, 2+00 on main tanks is just pathetic.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't forget about the H-53(X) aka Heavy Lift Requirement (HLR). Brand new helo.....USMC should have IOC by 2012-2015 or so......CH-53E being replaced by it.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Back to the EA-18...its pretty much just a super hornet with some seriously high tech jamming equipment. They havent done much in the ways of structural modification or the like. Check out last month's (I think?) issue of 'Military Aviation' for a nice long article. Anyone have any info as to when the Marines are taking delivery of the first VTOL JSF model? I've heard late this year??

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
Did they need to change anything?
I see Boeing is touting the AESA in all their G model press materials. Are you hearing anything about this on your end, UI? It was my understanding that the G model would not have AESA, at least not in the original buy.

break/break

Scotty, if you have questions about the G or jamming type stuff, let 'er rip. Quick and dirty - wingtip launchers have been replaced by receiver modules, gun also replaced with JX system gear, same ALQ-99 pods as we use today. HARM and AIM-120 the only weps for now, but they keep hinting at JWEPS down the line.

Good times,

Brett

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Thanks Brett, my knowledge of electronic warfare is virtually nothing, though I would jump at the chance to fly any variant of F-18...I would imagine that the EA-18 units are all going to be Navy, thus excluding Marines. Either way, thanks for the clarification.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
scotty008 said:
Back to the EA-18...its pretty much just a super hornet with some seriously high tech jamming equipment. They havent done much in the ways of structural modification or the like. Check out last month's (I think?) issue of 'Military Aviation' for a nice long article. Anyone have any info as to when the Marines are taking delivery of the first VTOL JSF model? I've heard late this year??

EA-18G = F/A-18F minus the gun plus the recievers from the ICAP III Prowler and the ALQ-99 pods we have had all along. This is what they call risk reduction by using existing technology. Don't know about "seriously high tech". Also, no offensive weapons other than HARM and Air-Air initially. It all comes down to $$$.

The EA-18G has an IOC of 2009 so I wouldn't expect to see a JSF in the fleet before 2015.

Man, helps if I read the whole thread.

BTW: I got some promotional literature from Boeing in my office. For follow-on blocks of the EA-18G they are listing a bunch of Air-Ground ordinance plus an ARS. That is Aerial Refueling Store for you newbies. Can you say, "500, overhead angels 10, sweet tanker?"

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
Is the Corps not getting the EA-18G? I read something that said they were. I definitely think that that would be a mistake considering the Air Force doesn't have any electronic attack aircraft anymore, and now the Marines won't, and plus the Navy doesn't have nearly enough anyway.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
That is Aerial Refueling Store for you newbies. Can you say, "500, overhead angels 10, sweet tanker?"
That will be the fvcking day, eh Meat?

Oh, and Flymarines - No, the USMC is not buying SH or G models.

Brett

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think (opinion) that the Corps will be getting out of the airborne EW business. We never really had control of those assets anyway, and as the EA-6B gets older and the Navy sheds theirs for 18Gs, it will be uneconomical to keep these assets in the USMC.

There have been whisperings of a two seat JSF for EW, but louder rumblings about how that wouldn't really work.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
Knew the Marine Corps wasn't getting the S/H, though I have a feeling they might end up with it some day. For some reason, always thought they were getting the EA-18G. Thanks for the heads up, Brett.

lucky2fly

T45 ADV
Anyone have any info as to when the Marines are taking delivery of the first VTOL JSF model? I've heard late this year??[/QUOTE]

late this year? Whoever told you that must be smoking some strong crack. first marine aircraft is delivered in 09-10 range. first operational squadron is slated to stand up 2011.
but good things do come to those who wait right.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
I have a question regarding future flying. Am I correct in thinking that the EA-18's will be flying quite a bit as the Marines aren't taking any and, from what I hear, the Air Force doesn't have a comparable machine?

confused_pilot

i thought i read something about the MMA being moved up to ~FY09 or FY10 due to the fact that P-3's are "falling out of the sky" aparently ~130 of the fleet got permanantly grounded last year with even more expected to never leave the earth again this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.