• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Car Smell...(Hornet Midair)

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
My only question is: Why are there two models in the first place? What is so different about the capabilites of the E and the F?

That's sad news about the other pilot though.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Sad to hear all of this develop as it has. Thoughts and prayers. Thank the good Lord that the pilot and NFO in the F survived... that's pretty incredible.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
A4sForever said:
That's two on me ---

And when did they move Lemoore? To the coast ??? Stunned and amazed again .....

No more stunned than I was....30 years ago this month I arrived here for my first tour thinking that NAS Lemoore was just another CA beach city.

The skipper for one of the China Lake squadrons is here today. It appears as though there were several witnesses to the mishap.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
Actually, the F may have had some systems moved to the back seat that require a body to fly.

For example, in the EA-6B , if we are not doing a mission, we still need a backseater because there are circuit breakers back there that are part of emergency procedures. Now that can be waived for short local flights, but there is a risk/benefit tradeoff.

Same thing in the Intruder, there were circuit breakers that the pilot could not reach so we always needed a body in the right seat.

Did not know that...interesting

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
First of all I would like to say that the families of the aviaitor who was killed is in my thoughts and prayers, and thank the BIG GUY the other two are ok.
Next when i cruised with VFA 122 last summer F models where routinely (sp?) flown with just a pilot, stick or no stick in the back. Also they would do BFM training fligths with Es V. Fs, Fs flying with Es V legacy and it didnt make a difference Second there was no difference in what you can do in the back on a super from what you can do in the front except dropping weapons and flyng the plane (2 stick not included) and by now they have the new lot out that you can actually fire from the rear.

jmac12

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. As for the E vs F, the F can be soloized and flown as a single, and as was earlier posted, is done often in the rag. The reason for having both e and F models is that there are some roles that a single seat aircraft cannot perform. FAC (A) is the first that comes to mind, which requires a WSO. Hope this helps those that are curious. Anyone with more detailed questions as to what a wso does can email me.

John