• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New MCPON announced

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
This was just posted on the Navy Times' site this morning and I haven't seen a thread about it anywhere else on the site so I figured I'd give it a go:

The Navy Times said:
Fleet Master Chief (SS/SW) Rick West has been named the 12th master chief petty officer of the Navy.

A career submariner and 27-year Navy veteran, West was tapped by Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Gary Roughead on Friday. Roughead was West’s former boss at Fleet Forces Command and Pacific Fleet before the admiral became CNO.

West served for 11 years as a command master chief and has seen duty onboard five submarines and one destroyer.

He will take over for retiring Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (SW/FMF) Joe Campa on Dec. 12, when Campa departs on terminal leave. Campa shocked the fleet Nov. 3 when he announced he was leaving, saying he was concerned about losing his connection with the deck plates and becoming a lame-duck MCPON. At two years and five months, Campa will have served the shortest tour as MCPON in the 41-year history of the job.

“I’m awed and humbled at the opportunity to succeed Joe Campa, who is a longtime friend and trusted shipmate,” West told Navy Times on Dec. 5. “He made tremendous contributions to our Navy and chief’s mess — as I see it, he laid the foundation and it’s up to us now to build the structure."

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/12/navy_mcpon_west_120508w/

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
WTF? MCPON Campa barely settled in and now he's gone? So I guess his legacy will be the Navy PT Uniform and Blue DigiCammies?

MCPON Scott at least got the Gov't to come down on predatory lenders...

Oh well...

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
^
Predatory lenders to sailors???

How about Bank of America and that damn Gov't credit card racquet they have going?

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
WTF? MCPON Campa barely settled in and now he's gone? So I guess his legacy will be the Navy PT Uniform and Blue DigiCammies?

MCPON Scott at least got the Gov't to come down on predatory lenders...

Oh well...

Wasn't this uniform debacle initiated by MCPON Scott and co. only to be handed to Campa? Also, what's this about BoA?

SkywardET

Contrarian
No, his legacy will be things such as restructuring E-7 to E-9 FITREPS and other "deckplate leadership" initiatives. His role with the new uniforms was minimal compared to most other players on those projects.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
FYI, as of 30 Nov, BoA is no longer the gov't CC provider. New pain will be complements of CITI.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
FYI, as of 30 Nov, BoA is no longer the gov't CC provider. New pain will be complements of CITI.

Sounds like someone wasn't policking with the right people... I've never had anything but good experiences with them I don't see why the gov't would drop them considering the fact that they have been one of the strongest, most stable banking/financial institutions throughout the recession thus far. At least, as far as I can tell.

lmnop

It's early yet, but if CITI's management of the government purchase card is any indication, the new travel card should be a hoot.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's called a threadjack. Picklesuit started it in the 2nd post.

By the way, congrats on the quick threadjack Pickle- that's as fast as it can be done unless you jack your own thread in the 1st post. That would be the Chuck Norris of threadjacks!

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Yea, I noticed I got threadjacked I was mostly just curious how we went from the new MCPON to the corrupt-ass Illinois gov. to BoA.

It's like the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am still a bit puzzled but the recently departed MCPON's sudden departure. It just seems odd.